Crimson Skies

Vondoom

Spaceman
I know this isn't WC related but I thought some of you might be interested in a new game coming out from Microsoft called Crimson Skies. I'm in the beta test and got my (still buggy unfort.) copy today. I must say I am quite impressed it has very good graphics and is quite fun to play. It takes place in an alternate 1938 world where the US has split into several smaller nations. It is very tounge in cheek but has a great story. Its combat is fast and furious, the physics are easy enough so that you don't have to actually learn how to fly a prop plane but realistic enough to keep it exciting. The best part though is the story and wingman. There is a great amount of radio chatter that helps convey the story throughout the missions (which have a very good variety) plus mission briefings with lots of chatter from all your wingman. I've played about 3 of the 24 missions so far and really like it. If anyone wants further info on the game just leave a message here or email me and I'll tell you more. I think WC fans missing some good cockpit action with good wingman and story will enjoy this. Catch you later.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I have not one, but TWO beta versions. I guess clicking the submit button twice is good on some accounts
smile.gif
But unfortunately, a P200 w/a voodoo banshee just isn't enough to run it
frown.gif
So I have TWO WORTHLESS beta versions.

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh boy, some people really like the name Crimson Sky/Skies!
biggrin.gif

So let me count:
1. Name of a transport in SO,
2. Name of a transport in SL and finally,
3. Name of whole game!

Sounds promising, though. What are the minimum system requirements for that one? And is the beta testing still open for application?

------------------
No one will hear your cry of death in the void of space

NO, it is unfortunatly not still open. As for the requirements they list P2-266 with 32Mbs and 350 megs of Hd space. The game rocks, On the last mission I play I had to rescue a lady on a train by flying real slow over it and picking her up in hostile territory and then haveing her take over and flying through a hanger and parachute myself out to steal a prototype plane. Very cool. And after each mission you get several momento's depending on what you did (not like X-wing Alliance though thank god-these are newpaper clippings and photo's that look like they are taken right out of the late 30's"

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

I don't know much about American history but the USA splitting into several nations prior to WWII? Please elaborate.

Like I said before it is an ALTERNATE history, where the Hindenburg never crashed, Zepplins are the busses of the skies and the game is very erol flynnish. You play a pirate of the skies who gets involved in something involving the entire USA. check out www.crimsonskies.com for more info or the preview at www.ign.com

------------------

I didn't realise they were handing out so many of these, I just got an e-mail saying that mine was on the way, haven't got it yet though. Free game
smile.gif
I'll post my opinions here or on the UE website (as they requested) but I doubt I'll have much time to play it.

I'm not sure what to make of the screenshots.. it just looks weird.

Oh, and just about everyone is getting a beta of this thing. Shows how desperate Microsoft is to promote this stuff. Starlancer was the same, and it still wasn't enough to make it sell much.
smile.gif

Alternate History is always cool. Fact, one of my favorite writers is Harry Turtledove, the so-called "Master of Alternate History."

Penguin: Well, the U.S. did split into 2 nations prior to WW2... about 80 years prior, actually
smile.gif

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Dang it they gave starlancer away free
frown.gif

If only I'd been here for that!
Not great, but the best space combat I've played recently.

Dralthi5: You are right, Harry Turtledove rocks!!! I've read all of his Civil War novels, and have read all of the World War novels except for Second Contact. But alternate history can suck if they aren't good at it. But Harry rules.

------------------

Ditto here, although I've read most of his Alternate History books save for "Departures" and "Breakthroughs."

Speaking of AH sucking if the writer's not good at it. Just finished Harry Harrison's alternate history story "Stars and Stripes Forever." Implausible at best, although Mr. Harrison keeps insisting that everything would have happened exaclty like he wrote it.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Back