Crappy version veterans?

frostytheplebe

Seventh Part of the Seal
I was wondering if there was anyone else in here who was a veteran of the crappy versions of the WC games?

My history:

I started out on WC3 for the Sony Playstation... that meant less fighters and no low altitude missions at all. it also cut the plot down, then I went on to WC4... same deal. Then went back to WC1... SNES version... minus the starfield actually being black, there was nothing I liked better about this version. Less models, crappier graphics, less detail, etc.

This is also why I'm a little skeptical of the SNES version of WC2... I'm afraid of it being a major disappointment... and also begs the question as to why WC2 was never released on to a system, all the other "Bluehair" games were.

All hail the Kilrathi Saga!!!

:pPromotion time:p

I imagine LOAF would have quite a tale to tell about the various obscure versions of WC games, some superior (eg SWC) and others inferior to the original PC releases.

I understand that the movies on the PlayStation version of WC3 were better than the PC version...

I imagine LOAF would have quite a tale to tell about the various obscure versions of WC games, some superior (eg SWC) and others inferior to the original PC releases.

I understand that the movies on the PlayStation version of WC3 were better than the PC version...

Having now played the PC version I agree, but a lot was lost as well.

Crappy wing commander versions thats an oxymoron isn't it? My first game was part three heart of the tiger. At the time it didn't run on my computer very well so I would switch to playing the super nintendo quite abit. I was very surprise on a trip to the store that they had a wing commander game for that system.

I purchased the original wing commander and the sequel the secret missions several months later. They were a pretty fun at the time of course they were not as much compared to playing wing commander 3 on the computer. I always had a fun time trying to match up the timelines in the manuals. I remember reading the review of wing commander 2 for the snes in gamepro magazine. For months I waited eagerly for the game to come out but that was not going to happen. Still if wing two was tracked down I would still play it to the finish.

I still feel pretty lucky that they decided to make the ports of the games Im sure they expanded the fan base.

I started out on burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff...

Wing Commander I for the PC was my first game, so I don't know the (pain? joy? glory?) of starting with a port... but baby, I've played me some ports in my day. Loved every minute of them, the frustrating parts doubly so. I did, however, not read the manual and so played through the entire first game and part of Secret Missions I without figuring out how to afterburn. You were a dumb boy, Bandit.

The SNES version of Wing Commander 2 should be very interesting for several reasons. One is that it was built by an entirely different group of people - actual Origin guys, many of whom went on to work on other Wing titles... and two is that it was built from the ground up as an SNES experience (read: more arcade-styled) rather than an attempt to exactly emulate Wing Commander II for the PC.

Wing Commander II did get a single published port - for the FM Towns in Japan... and you could play it on the FM Towns Marty game console. Quite a few Wing Commander 2s were cancelled at various points in development - for the Amiga, for the SNES, for the Genesis, for the 3DO, for the CD-ROM (talkie)...

Space Point

I have a lot of fond memories of the SNES version of WC1. I was about 10 years old and I played it almost everyday until I beat it. I memorized all the crazy button combinations and enjoyed every minute of it.

I have the same memories of learning the crazy button combos and how to deal with the awkward 'stick... from last year's PSP port. Plus, I got to play it on the bus a lot!

I was wondering if there was anyone else in here who was a veteran of the crappy versions of the WC games?

I got WC2 very early on, but really started playing WC heavily with SNES WC1. I was shocked when EA Replay was announced and a few people were disappointed it was the "crappy" SNES version. I loved that one. When you start out with a single asteroid hit destroying your fighter, every asteroid field afterwards is easy. WC1 has some of the best graphics on the SNES, and the ability to play it on a large tv (for the time) was incredible. And it had the debug mode built in that let you jump to any system. The Super Nintendo port of WC1 is probably what really got me into WC, and after that I went back and really got hooked on WC2 DOS.

Back