Confed Security

F4U Corsair

Spaceman
Something I found weird about Wing Commander 4 was when the Orlando Depo was destroyed, there wasnt any real big thing about it besides Maniac's whining. I mean you'd think if a station that had three thousand people on it would stir up some media or something, but there was nothing nearby, no fighter patrol, no nothing, no one thought it strange that an Avenger, a big bomber was lurking about in Confed space, at a time when the Border Worlds were being accused of Piracy and Terrorism?

Nephele was geographically (and soon after politically) part of the Border Worlds - the fact that there was a militia fighter there shouldn't have been too odd. (Seether's Avenger jumps out immediately following the destruction of Orlando, but it must have come from Nephele II in the first place... since you'd run into him there at the bar.)

Previous message:
I only read the novelization, but I thought Seether flew a Lance exclusively? I could be wrong- that was over four months ago, and that is a very minor detail.

I do remember black bear(hell?)cats and other common confed ships, but i always assumed while reading that Seether exclusively flew a dragon...it did seem to be an all-purpose ship and all.

Errr, never mind. Seether had to have flown an avenger.

There were the black hellcats (with pod mounts for retrieving pilots, oddly enough). Seether, however wasn't a one-ship kind of guy. He tricked out all the fine fighters at his whim. I imagine it would help one stay sharp to do so.

Recall that one of the possible "revelations" at the end of WCIV was that the Lances were Confed designs - so if Seether went around flying them on the Lexington earlier in the game it would have been a less effective reveal. :) (If you don't defect at the first opportunity you go on to fly off the Lexington with Seether as your wingman.)

I never really liked not defecting right away as you lose out on some good missions and story developing FMVs. It was always creepy listening to seether reply to your commands during combat.

When I played for the first time, I promptly defected, for it seemed clear to me that something was wrong with confed. I played the other path later though. The early defection is a lot cooler. The missions and videos are more interesting and more creative.

I defected right away, I just really got sick of the Hellcat and the Longbow and wanted something new! Seriously, two fighters for the entire first disk? SNORE!!!

That democrat guy from west wing really show his true collors.

He means John Spencer, who plays White House Chief of Staff Leo McGarry on "The West Wing" played Captain Paulsen in Wing Commander IV.

On a related note, does it bring a smile to your faces when you see people from the games in other movies? I'm not talking so much about Mark Hammill, John Rhys-Davies, or Malcolm McDowell since they all have fairly large bodies of work, but when you have a Hawk sighting (when he played one of the cops in "Bulworth") or Pliers ("The dude in Office Space"), doesn't it make you smile just a little?

And on another unrelated note, I've found that I now remember Mark Hammill more for Wing Commander than Star Wars. Anyone else agree?

Back