Centurion Privateer Length?

There's no canonically listed size for the Centurion; when I did the craft's stat block for the RPG, I had to estimate it based on its length in pixels versus the length of the Broadsword (a craft in the same game for which there is an canonically stated length) in pixels.

You shouldn't need an "official" length though. You can get a program like GIMP or Photoshop and measure the pixel length from each of the three perspectives, which I think is in the Privateer Reference Card? Will definitely be available from the extras at GOG and I'm pretty sure they're also available via WCPedia. You can measure length versus draught and length versus wingspan seperately, and then get make whatever adjustments are needed if you get a different length measurement between the two. You just won't know what the actual scale ratio of your model will be.

For the record, when I did my calculations I came up with a final gross volume (length x width x draught, not a particularly accurate measurement of the actual volume) of 17,998.75 m^3.

EDIT: Actually found my notes on this - the Centurion comes out to 462 pixels long, 436 pixels wide, and 137 pixels in draught, based on the (probably correct) assumption that it's to scale with itself.

Last edited:
The sprite method doesn't hold much water… try it using any of the other ships used in Privateer that have known lengths (such as the Drayman or the Kamekh) and you'll get a totally different length each time. You'd be better off measuring the source 3D model (from WC3D.zip).

Since it may help someone somehow, here's how I got "about 71 feet 2 inches" for the Centurion's length. I know there's a big margin of error and the ship size may not be consistent in different settings.

I measured the top left sprite found on the Centurion Sprite Sheet at https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Centurion

Wingtip to wingtip = 707 pixels
Length, nose to exhaust = 740 pixels
Canopy = 39 pixels

This screenshot gives a sense of the Centurion canopy's scale in relation to the ship dealer.
Privateer_-_Screenshot_-_Ship_Dealer_-_Normal.png

Looking to the rear
SCREE038.gif

I did some estimating and came up with a canopy width of 45 inches. That would allow access to the switches on both sides and for the back hatch (?) not to be very narrow. 45 inches might even be on the small side based on the cockpit views.
Centurion_Cockpit_-_Left.PNG
Privateer_-_Cockpit_-_Centurion_-_Active.png
Centurion_Cockpit_-_Right.PNG

So if width of 39 pixel canopy = 3.75 feet then 🪄
1 pixel = 0.096153846153846 feet
and
Wingtip to wingtip = 707 pixels = 67.980769230769122 feet
Length, nose to exhaust = 740 pixels = 71.15384615384604 feet

Unused manual art shows a snug canopy but actual game layout looks wider
885px-Privateer_-_Unused_Manual_Art_-_Faxes_-_Centurion_Battle.png

I cannot comment on actual lengths, when I looked at the models way back, I came to the conclusion of "over 50 feet". @st3lt3k kudos for the deep dive.

Back