Armada interface graphics

ZOmegaZ

Rear Admiral
I'm working on a project for which I need the interface graphics for Wing Commander Armada. Things like the map screen buttons, the image for a planet, stuff like that. I can extract files from data.tre just fine, and I've got a guess or two as to what files contain what I want, but I've got no idea how to convert 'em to something I can use. Anybody got any ideas?

A better idea might be to just grab screenshots of the menu items you need. Sorry I can't help you out with that right now, though.

Hm. It seems that WCNav will allow viewing of the .shp and a few .iff files from data.tre. The program is five years old, but the source is there. I may take a stab at fixing it up a bit, emphasize may. Any other parties interested?

Dunno if that would work or not, can't find the program. What little information I can find seems to indicate that mats are generally textures on ships, which is not what I'm dealing with.

ZOmegaZ said:
Hm. It seems that WCNav will allow viewing of the .shp and a few .iff files from data.tre. The program is five years old, but the source is there. I may take a stab at fixing it up a bit, emphasize may. Any other parties interested?

Very much so. I'd love to be able to view some of the other Privateer and Armada graphics properly in WCNav.

Slight change of plans in the last four hours, looks like if anything I'll be writing a small Python script to extract the files I want. And this may or may not work. But it may. ("May" is such a good word.) I'll let ya know. :)

You need to look at Thomas Bruckners website then, look under the links section of the CIC and got to Editing and Models, I think it is.

I believe he has the texture convertor program that you're looking for, and it probably already does what you need it to do.

Nope, doesn't seem to handle the appropriate IFFs in Armada. And I've decided that given the lo-res nature of the Armada graphics, I'm almost certainly better off drawing my own or, given my inexperience with such things, finding someone else to draw them. I may start a thread describing my project some time soon, if my partner on it thinks its a good idea, and see if anyone's interested in that. Thanks for the input, guys. :)

Well, well, well. If it isn't my old WCNav program hacked together in TurboC and later done up in 32-bit DJGPP. I've been meaning to get around to updating it but since I gave a working copy off to Quarto there's never been a need to...at least he never mentioned it. =) Either way, since there seems to be at least two people (here) interested in WCNav's further development, I'll guess I'll have to dust off the old bits and redo them in a "normal" up-to-date manner. Now there's only one question...OpenGL or DirectDraw? =) Come to think of it dunno if I should use Cygwin+GCC or DevCPP...or heaven forbid VisualC. BTW, MATs are just strangely constructed raw bitmap files...and last time I looked WCNav handled them nicely. Did the version you have save BMP files?

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that you could always filter the low res gfx to expand them to a decent size...WinUAE has a very nice filter...Hired Guns in 640x480 MMMmmmmm. =P

Back