An interesting project idea..

Shaggy

Vice Admiral
A little while ago I had an idea I was going to send to Origin. I was thinking it would be a good fan project for SO or possibly even Starlancer, especially considering Origin has seemed to disappear. The idea involved creating a program that allows anyone, who is at least willing to read the instructions, to create their own ships for SO or Starlancer. BAsically the entire package would include a 3D renering program, texture program, weapons placement, and statistical editor all rolled into one. So what would happen is that the program would create and install the necessary files once you clicked the done button. Of course you woulkd still need WCPedit to swap ships. But, I thought it would be a good program for fans like me who can't afford, or find,the necessary programs to create our own ships.
I don't have much programming experience so I don't know how difficult it would be to create a rendering program, or pirate one(but that's illegal:). However I would like to hear some of your thoughts on this.

Yeah, if I were Origin I'd certainly be interested in making a ship editor for Starlancer. :cool:

Don't worry, 3D modeling programs are easy and cheap to make! That's why they charge so much for them!!!

TC

Ship conversions

There are already ways to import your previously rendered ship to the Vision Engine (WCP/SO). Check HCl's WC editing page at http://popsiclepete.cjb.net/hcl/wc.htm. Thomas Bruckner has reported on his site that he was working on a plugin for some 3D creation program available on the net that would enable us to save our renderings directly into the Vision ship format (or at least that's what I understood).

As to build missions, there are also excellent tools on both Thomas's and HCl's pages. I suggest you begin with Thomas's Mission Builder, and then if you have some programming skills, use HCl's ProphecyC or Thomas's (hopefully) soon available WCPpas.

As for SL there are already great tools for creating/modifying/importing custom made ships. There is SLEdit (created by Fuzzball) for importing and switching fighters, SLTool (created by HCl) for editing weapons and a mission editor is being made by Paul Hughes from Warthog. It is due to be released soon. All programs can be found on TLR.
For designing your own fighters you can use Milkshape which is a small but sufficient 3D rendering program which isn't expensive ($20, I think).

Back