X-BOX illiterate still needs help

Mekt-Hakkikt

Mpanty's bane
Hi!

First of all, I am rather excited about the news about WC Arena! It sure is neither what I would have expected nor what I would have hoped for as a next WC game but still, a new game is better than none. And to be honest, I do like quick shoot'em-ups arcade games so I guess I'll enjoy WC Arena.

But, as I already mentioned, I am completely at a loss when it's about consoles and even after reading the news, some of the threads and the FAQ (thank you very much, it helped!), I still have the need for some clarification about WC Arena and Live Arcade and so on.
I probably could have emailed the CIC as it was recommended but I also wanted to express my appreciation here.

So, what I think I learned by now:

WC Arena will come out summer 2007.
I'll need a XBOX360 to play WC Arena and I'll only get the game via XBOX Live Arcade (sniff, no new box to put on the shelf) which I imagine just as some website like Amazon, where I buy stuff.
The XBOX Live Arcade accounts come in silver (free) and gold (~50 $ a year). To download the game, I only need the free silver accout and I don't even need a XBOX to open the account.

Did I get it right?

Now my questions:

Can I play WC Arena alone by myself without being online/paying, just having it sit on my XBOX360-hard drive? There is talk of a single player mode in the news and videos but I wasn't sure if I can play it just as I would play a normal single player game on my PC. Do I have to be online with the XBOX to play it?
Because, while I'd be willing to purchase the game and a XBOX just for this game, I won't pay a monthly/yearly fee for it. I have a strong personal dislike against online games. As I understood it, I only have to buy the gold account if I wish to play online.

If I can play WC Arena in the single player mode as described above, will I be missing any features when I limit myself to it, in comparison to the multiplayer game? I mean, beside the concept of flying against people from around the world.
E.g. are there ships that can only be seen in the MP part?

Are there any things to consider because of the fact that I am living in Germany?

I think that was it. I guess I am in no rush to buy a XBOX360 since it will take some time until WC Arena is available. But since I still have to buy a PSP, that's just fine. EA Replay is still delayed though...:(

As always any help will greatly appreciated. I am very happy about the news and I sincerely hope this will trigger a new WC game for the PC in the "traditional style". I also hope that those who are sceptical about WC's future will have their doubts removed when a new and good area for Wing Commander as a whole will begin.
:)

Good questions, this is helpful.

Can I play WC Arena alone by myself without being online/paying, just having it sit on my XBOX360-hard drive? There is talk of a single player mode in the news and videos but I wasn't sure if I can play it just as I would play a normal single player game on my PC. Do I have to be online with the XBOX to play it?

Yes, you can play the single player element of the game offline. Just turn your XBox on, go to the menu and you can load it -- no need for the internet to play.

If I can play WC Arena in the single player mode as described above, will I be missing any features when I limit myself to it, in comparison to the multiplayer game? I mean, beside the concept of flying against people from around the world.
E.g. are there ships that can only be seen in the MP part?

Yes, the game is heavily focused for online play -- things like the giant capital ship battle or the capture the flag mode are only available in multiplayer. I would go so far as to say that the multiplayer and single player games are comletely different... they share the playerships, but the maps and modes are divided between them.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Good questions, this is helpful.
Yes, you can play the single player element of the game offline. Just turn your XBox on, go to the menu and you can load it -- no need for the internet to play.

Well, then it's settled: I'll get a XBox and WC:Arena, wohoo!

Yes, the game is heavily focused for online play -- things like the giant capital ship battle or the capture the flag mode are only available in multiplayer. I would go so far as to say that the multiplayer and single player games are comletely different... they share the player ships, but the maps and modes are divided between them.

Pity (for me), the capships would have been very interesting but at least I can play the game for myself, my worst fears turn out not to be true.

Thanks again.

WC Arena will come out summer 2007.
I'll need a XBOX360 to play WC Arena and I'll only get the game via XBOX Live Arcade (sniff, no new box to put on the shelf) which I imagine just as some website like Amazon, where I buy stuff.
The XBOX Live Arcade accounts come in silver (free) and gold (~50 $ a year). To download the game, I only need the free silver accout and I don't even need a XBOX to open the account.

Yup. A little bit of clarification: you can register the free XBox Live Silver account with your computer over the web, but the actual purchasing of the game occurs via the XBox 360 "dashboard" menu interface (the portion of the interface referred to as the "Live Arcade" store).

Well, then it's settled: I'll get a XBox and WC:Arena, wohoo!

Pity (for me), the capships would have been very interesting but at least I can play the game for myself, my worst fears turn out not to be true.

One thing I might suggest is to just get one month of XBox Live Gold. It's not required to invest the full $50 for a year. Sometimes you get a free month when you buy a new console, and this will allow you to at least try out all the different modes and experience some of the things unique to multiplayer. There will certainly be friendly people you can match up with via Crius.net here if you'd like to avoid playing with random people online. You can also purchase one month of XBox Live Gold membership for approximately $8 http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Mon...r_12/102-6090618-9368146?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Because, while I'd be willing to purchase the game and a XBOX just for this game, I won't pay a monthly/yearly fee for it. I have a strong personal dislike against online games. As I understood it, I only have to buy the gold account if I wish to play online.
Microsoft throws free Live Gold hours at you for just about anything. Buying an accessory or game usually gets you at least 48 hours of Gold, sometimes a lot more. I say you should give it a shot and see if it turns out to be more appealing than you first expected.

Yup. A little bit of clarification: you can register the free XBox Live Silver account with your computer over the web, but the actual purchasing of the game occurs via the XBox 360 "dashboard" menu interface (the portion of the interface referred to as the "Live Arcade" store).

Ok. Makes sense since to game should be on the XBox, not my computer. Guess I'll figure it out once I have the XBox.

One thing I might suggest is to just get one month of XBox Live Gold. It's not required to invest the full $50 for a year. Sometimes you get a free month when you buy a new console, and this will allow you to at least try out all the different modes and experience some of the things unique to multiplayer. There will certainly be friendly people you can match up with via Crius.net here if you'd like to avoid playing with random people online. You can also purchase one month of XBox Live Gold membership for approximately $8 http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Mon...r_12/102-6090618-9368146?ie=UTF8&s=videogames

Microsoft throws free Live Gold hours at you for just about anything. Buying an accessory or game usually gets you at least 48 hours of Gold, sometimes a lot more. I say you should give it a shot and see if it turns out to be more appealing than you first expected.

That's what I am counting on as well, getting some free Gold time or at severely reduced price. I'm sure I will look into it at least once, just to see the environments.
Thanks for the info.

P.S.: Grr, EA Replay will be shipped probably only in May according to Amazon. What's taking it so long? :mad: On the other hand, maybe the PSP will drop in price until then...

That's what I am counting on as well, getting some free Gold time or at severely reduced price.

That's what the $50/year thing is. :) It's hard to get much cheaper than $4/month for access to a gaming service like this. That being said, I once saw one year cards in the upper $30s at some place's Black Friday Christmas sale.

True that. :)

Still, I meant rather something like the "1 month only" you mentioned or the free hours Frosty mentioned.

Anyway, I first have to do some research if German gaming shops also sell those cards with Microsoft points. Typical, I know enough people who could help me with Nintendo or Playstation but XBox, not one.
Hoorah for the CIC forums!

It doesn't happen very often, but once in a while Microsoft also opens everything up with a free weekend. There's one for Australian XBox Live users in a couple days.

According to Xbox's official Australian Web site, Xbox Live will be free from 5pm March 9 to 11:59pm March 11 for all 360 Silver members down under. Silver Xbox Live memberships come complimentary with all Xbox 360s and usually do not allow online play. The free weekend is being held to coincide with the local release of Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2, and is hot on the heels of publisher Ubisoft launching a GRAW2 Tournament for Australia and New Zealand.

Back