Wooden model Wing Commander fighters?

Darkmage

Vice Admiral
http://emodelairplanes.com Now to me this immediately looks suspicious because the Excalibur paintjob etc is totally wrong. But does anyone know if these are real? Interested to know if anyone has seen and or bought from these guys previously? (update: it appears they are also using Howard Day's Pioneer artwork: specifically the Tarsus I think all the artwork for at least Wing Commander ships has been lifted off of the internet I do not know the legal status of this)

The Excalibur picture is actually a mesh by someone called Ahart Lauder or something (thats the name i found in the readme at least) which he *could* have, though i doubt proper credit is given. But the Tarsus shows a Pioneer picture, and i don't remember Howie releasing that mesh.
I think that's enough to classify the seller as a hustler, even if he does make wood models of any kind.

If they are really selling those models, I don't think they're doing anything wrong at all. It's not like Howard Day could claim to have a copyright on the Tarsus.

The issue here isn't where they got their source material from - the real question is whether they're actually making and selling these models, or whether it's just a scam...

Yeah but stealing pictures from dedicated fans and not giving credit doesn't make a good impression to start with. I'm sure their "Southeast Asia factory" makes wood models, but i think there's a reason they use pictures they found on the net.

This isn't about stealing pictures. As far as I have heard it's quite possibly a scam of the highest order. You pay in advance for them to make them but it never happens, and eventually your three months that you have to complain to ebay runs out and you are stuck paying for something that never happens.

Ask yourself: Why isn't there a picture of the *actual* wood model?

My thoughts exactly.

Also, if I understood that correctly they only accept paypal for all their payments.

And I have never heard from them. On none of the sites I know (I know a lot of people who like such wood models). The only sites who mention them are ebay-related.

All in all I am rather suspicious of them.

This isn't about stealing pictures. As far as I have heard it's quite possibly a scam of the highest order. You pay in advance for them to make them but it never happens, and eventually your three months that you have to complain to ebay runs out and you are stuck paying for something that never happens.

Ask yourself: Why isn't there a picture of the *actual* wood model?

I saw something like that for a couple of wooden models. I was so excited until I saw the item description. Red flags went up left and right. First thought: Scam!!! My guess is... I HOPE that so far no one has been fooled by this. They always have 100% positive feedback but still something doesn't add up. I never invest in ebay preorders or anything like that for EXACTLY this reason. Personally, I think ebay should set rules forth that do not allow this kind of crap. But thats just me. I think it's definitely a scam. It's way too convenient. Plus the fact that most of the time these models are being shipped from 3rd world countries... yeah looks like the email scammers have found a new venue.

Back