Wingman names?

Ilanin

Captain
Is it possible to edit the names of the non-storyline wingmen in Standoff? If so, how? Or will it cause the game to crash due to the, um, unique and innovative method of assigning pilots to missions?

I don't think it would crash the game any more than Standoff editing the names in the first place should cause Secret Ops to crash. Provided you stay within reasonable limits, of course (standard alphanumeric characters, length of name, etc). I don't know where the names are located, though.

As I understand it, other than plot-specific characters, other pilots are assigned at random from a pool, though I could be wrong.

I recall a conversation when I complained about the way none of the redshirts die until Episode 5 wherein Quarto said he'd not been able to get Origin's random wingman assigner to work so all of Standoff's wingmen were actually picked explicity - which is why I think it might be different (and why none of them die).

Oh, I remember that one. I'm not sure if the wingmen are fixed before episodes 5, though. If they're flagged as 'no-death' until then, then there shouldn't be a need to fix the assignments for anyone other than plot-related characters.

We'll have to wait till someone from the team can respond to this query to know for certain, I think.

Changing the pilot names will be just fine, it won't affect the game in any way - from the game's point of view, the pilots just have numbers, not names.

Awesome. Are you going to tell me where to find them to edit, or is having to look through all the .tre files myself penance for asking a stupid question?

Well, it's all in a file called callsign.eng. I don't remember offhand, but I guess this file exists in every one of the episode TRE files - with Episode 5 naturally having the final version.

Correct - in WCP, there were also .ger files, and probably something like .fre as well (though I don't remember that for sure). So, you can have different languages existing alongside.

Back