Wing Commander World War 2 Ship Names..

Mjr. Whoopass

<FONT color=lightblue><B>I was going to say someth
Since October of last year, I've been painting the pieces of my Axis and Allies board game. I've been painting and naming the boats after actual WW2 ships and am looking for any WC ship names I may have missed. The options are WW2 transports, Destroyers, Battleships, Submarines, and Aircraft Carriers. Ones I have made or are planning to make include:
USS Intrepid, USS Plunkett, USS Lexington, HMS Victorious (yes, not Victory, but the closest there is), USS Tichonderoga (yes, fan mods too- especially Standoff).

Any notable World War 2 ships with Wing Commander names that I've missed?

IJS Soryu, USS Yorktown, HMS Ajax, HMS Conventry, HMS Sheffield, USS Iowa, USS Saratoga, USS Leyte Gulf, USS Midway are the ones I can think of quickly.

I'd started a larger list last night but fell asleep and lost it. I'll compile it again later. There are quite a few though.

It saves the day at the end of Action Stations and it's also one of the carriers in Fleet Action...

... and, oddly, it's also the carrier used on the Wing Commander Customizable Card Game team shirts (they have the art for a marine fighter squadron off the Ark Royal on them).

I've read the book, but had forgotten the names of those carriers. Glad I posted.

It saves the day at the end of Action Stations and it's also one of the carriers in Fleet Action...

... and, oddly, it's also the carrier used on the Wing Commander Customizable Card Game team shirts (they have the art for a marine fighter squadron off the Ark Royal on them).

Wow, that sounds interesting. Are there any pictures of those?

Voila!

ccg-shirt.jpg

These shirts were made for Mag Force 7 employees to wear to trade shows after the game came out. It's a button 'bowling shirt' with the squadron logo on the back and the CCG name on the breast pocket.

Mine was actually intended for Mark Hamill, who was hired to sign promo cards at Gencon. He refused to wear the shirt and it sat in a closet for years.

Last edited by a moderator:
loaf, you always come up with cool wc stuff, how do you do this? :D

why did mark refuse to wear this shirt?

I've never met the man, so I can't say for sure.... but my understanding is that Mr. Hamill is an incredibly nice guy but that he is also very particular about how he does public appearances.

Another example--EA talked to him about doing promotion for Wing Commander Arena (ie, go on a webcast)... which he was happy to do as long as he didn't have to actually play the game with someone. For whatever reason he was completely against being seen holding a game controller.

But then he also has a reputation as being someone who is so nice that he will do anything as a favor if asked--so much so that his manager/wife knows this and so tries to keep him from dealing with anyone directly. Back when they were doing the Wing movie, the story goes that Chris Roberts knew if he got around Mark's wife and contacted him directly he could get him to appear as Merlin in the movie... which he did (supposedly for free, which is why he's credited as ?).

I think he may not have wanted to play the game against someone because he stated in an interview in Star Wars Magazine in the UK that, although he's famous for playing fighter pilots (he names both Blair and Skywalker in the interview) he is totally useless at playing the games. I've still got the issue in storeage, I'll see if I can dig it out

Most of what I was going to post can be found in the list LOAF provided.

Yes, that was a very handy list, thanks for posting it Loaf. I was glad to see the Eagle on there, which I had also already modeled and didn't realize was a Wing Commander ship name. I appreciate the ones you listed Dundradal since there's a few that I didn't realize were also WW2 ship names. I already knew about the Ajax and Sheffield, but sadly they're cruisers and the Axis and Allies board games I play don't include that ship type.

Also - this list may come in handy for finding obscure Wing Commander ship names: https://www.wcnews.com/articles/art22-2.shtml

(Not updated for Arena... yet...)

Now there's a list and a half. Tell me, is there any particular source for the wide application of the "TCS" prefix in the Wing Commander universe? There's lots of transport and auxiliary vessels given that prefix that wouldn't recieve it in modern day navies.

Last edited by a moderator:
But then he also has a reputation as being someone who is so nice that he will do anything as a favor if asked--so much so that his manager/wife knows this and so tries to keep him from dealing with anyone directly. Back when they were doing the Wing movie, the story goes that Chris Roberts knew if he got around Mark's wife and contacted him directly he could get him to appear as Merlin in the movie... which he did (supposedly for free, which is why he's credited as ?).

You said he's also the bridge man on the Concordia who announces the presence of the Snakeir, isn't he?

Tell me, is there any particular source for the wide application of the "TCS" prefix in the Wing Commander universe? There's lots of transport and auxiliary vessels given that prefix that wouldn't recieve it in modern day navies.

Just the usage in the games--we see military transports and other auxillary ships called TCS especially in Wing Commander I and II (eg, Drayman TCS General Powell in Secret Missions 2, Clydesdale TCS Xebec in Wing Commander II, science ship TCS Tsiolkovsky and so on).

You said he's also the bridge man on the Concordia who announces the presence of the Snakeir, isn't he?

It certainly sounds like him. They were corralling anyone who passed through the Digital Anvil offices in late 1998 to do ADR for the movie, so it's quite possible.

Back