Wing Commander through the years – VIDEO!

MasterWandu

1st Lieutenant
Hey All

Please check out my Wing Commander through the years video. I just wanted to help create something to keep up the momentum and interest in the new Chris Roberts franchise! The timings to the music are not perfectly in sync, but good enough for now, as I have other programming work I have to attend to.
I'm no editing pro, and so it took many hours to source the footage (screen capture with DosBox/ wcnews holovids / youtube) and to get all the timings right! Would appreciate your comments and throughts on the vid. Lets really try and keep up the awareness on all our social channels!

Description

A mashup of Wing Commander I, II, III, IV, Prophecy and the new Star Citizen: Squadron 42 trailer from Chris Roberts!
The timings are not perfect, but they'll have to do as I've got other work to do! I really just wanted to make the video to demonstrate the awesome cinematic nature of Chris Roberts games, and to hopefully drum up some more support for the fantastic new Star Citizen: Squadron 42 game that was recently announced by the man himself.

Please check out http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/ and make a financial pledge, or at the very least sign-up and show your support on the forums! The game looks incredible but it needs your support to become a reality!
I don't own any of the video, audio, trademarks or IP used, please don't sue me... I'm not trying to make a profit.

Shout out must go to Queeg and the www.wcnews.com team for hosting the full Wing Commander III and IV vids that made getting footage "relatively" simple. Although, it still has taken me around 7 hours to extract the required clips and do everything to the correct timings... argh... just love Requiem for a Dream, but what a pain to edit!

WCNEWS videos can be found at: https://www.wcnews.com/holovids/
Star Citizen: Squadron 42 - http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
This is cool, I personally would have used a little more from WC1+2, the Concordia vs Fralthra scene would have fit nicely. Still though, it's a good showcase and the music fits nicely.

Yeah, time was my biggest enemy, as I did the editing in between developing a work project. I mainly used stock HD footage I could get a hold of from YouTube, which didn't provide too many "action" shots...

It's a nice video, but more segments, more naturally interspersed would be nice. The is a lot of footage in the long RSI trailer.
Also... used to like that track, but it's been used in so many fanvids. The music of Wing Commander is so wonderful that it seems a shame not to use it for a video which is a tribute to the series - there aren't many tracks with quite the same action or punch to them to choose from from the games but that would still be my preference.

Thanks @ChrisReid for the recognition!

@Pedro: Yes I think you said it yourself... I was simply looking for something with that extra dramatic edge and "Requiem for a Dream" seemed to fit quite nicely. I'm thinking of doing a far more chilled-out video, perhaps looking over some of the more "emotional" aspects of the series... maybe using something from the Soundtrack of Inception by Hans Zimmer?

With all this excitement of Star Citizen, I'm super amped to play through some of the Wing Commander games. Does anyone know if there are future plans to do a play-through of the series like what's been done in the past? Think it would only make sense to do something like that once the news from SC becomes a little bit more lulled... right now the excitement there is palpable!

It's a good idea. Lots of people have talked about it, but someone would need to organize it.

Just a random thought about the "community play-through" thing, don't know if this part has been done before but here's an idea I'd consider fun and could imagine participating in:

For games with an open development like Privateer and Privateer 2, one could do something like a "hot seat" play-through, where the player doing the actual gaming changes all the time: Say, every 1st oder 2nd time the player's ship lands on a planet, he makes a savegame and gives it to the next one in turn to continue. Progress, events and decisions are reported to the relevant thread and all participants can comment, suggest or even vote on the next decisions (probably with the person actually sitting on the "hot seat" having the veto on what he decides to actually do).

I'd somewhat enjoy participating in something like that, because it'd give everyone the opportunity to get immersed in, and influence the gameplay even if he's only reading and commenting the effort in the forum.

@Pedro: Yes I think you said it yourself... I was simply looking for something with that extra dramatic edge and "Requiem for a Dream" seemed to fit quite nicely. I'm thinking of doing a far more chilled-out video, perhaps looking over some of the more "emotional" aspects of the series... maybe using something from the Soundtrack of Inception by Hans Zimmer?

Hans Zimmer is absolutely my favorite name when it comes to movie soundtracks, Inception, Batman and the new Sherlock Holmes movies all spring immediately to mind. That said the music of Wing Commander always felt so integral to the series to me that if you can find something that would fit it would really add something to the videos for me. Not an easy choice though I'll admit, but there are a few tracks from the movie which I imagine could work.

Just a random thought about the "community play-through" thing, don't know if this part has been done before but here's an idea I'd consider fun and could imagine participating in:

For games with an open development like Privateer and Privateer 2, one could do something like a "hot seat" play-through, where the player doing the actual gaming changes all the time: Say, every 1st oder 2nd time the player's ship lands on a planet, he makes a savegame and gives it to the next one in turn to continue. Progress, events and decisions are reported to the relevant thread and all participants can comment, suggest or even vote on the next decisions (probably with the person actually sitting on the "hot seat" having the veto on what he decides to actually do).

I'd somewhat enjoy participating in something like that, because it'd give everyone the opportunity to get immersed in, and influence the gameplay even if he's only reading and commenting the effort in the forum.

I'd enjoy that too - in fact, I might even volunteer to be one of the players.

Back