Wing Commander (Saga) Evolution-Shoots

i used to be in love with nurbs. always wanted some quake1 engine remake like tenebrae to put it in. never happened.

generating a couple LOD's from a nurbs mesh is pretty ez. so i thoguth it could be done at game startup time and cached. have aprameters to set what sorta details it'd do.

but really, you can just make a huge poly model now and render up normal maps. then either make smaller lod's to use those by hand, or use max7's nifty edge limited optimizer. just knock down the polycount of the high poly version without destroying important shape qualities (you mark some edges as undestroyable). it'll even simplify the edges that you marked static too, it'll just do it plane-wise. i.e. bound ot the normal(line_point_curve) plane. at where it is. it's a really cool tool. it'll leave your marked shape alone, and simplify it within the bounds of shape. you can do something like, simplify or tessellate a bulge on a sphere, and not destroy the sharp boundary of the sphere/bulge, even though both bulge/sphere polycounts rise/fall. it's my new favorite tool :)

-scheherazade

Here is a new one:

evolution_amadeus.jpg

Back