"Wing Commander Reboot" Timeline

Mmmmmmm....I'm sure Eder will be interested to know that the webmaster's image is just a slice of the main Standoff website image on the top of the page.

The images section is a cross-section of real WC images, Saga, Standoff, some of Howard's work, etc.

Didn't read too much of the site after noticing all that though...so can't comment on the text.

It was a waste of your time to have done this thing, CT25, and a waste of ours to have shown it to us. You should feel ashamed for your mistake.

That's not as shocking as humans using space drives for over 2000 years. Just think, in that alternate universe, George Washington crossed the Potomac in his space rowboat to bomb the Brits!

With superpolymers!

That's not as shocking as humans using space drives for over 2000 years. Just think, in that alternate universe, George Washington crossed the Potomac in his space rowboat to bomb the Brits!

You're just thinking about Earth years man, you need to start thinking anno lunarium for no reason whatsoever.

I tried to look up what the hell that was, and I was frightened that the shitpit that Kiat lives in was all I could find.

CT25, are you CT23?

I guess I just don't understand who the audience is for this or why anyone would put so much work into it.

It seems like the sort of thing that isn't:

- Appealing to Wing Commander fans. Hello everyone, you know that thing you love? Well, I changed it slightly for no apparent reason! Don't you want to read the same timeline you're already entirely familiar with but with some entirely unnecessary and largely uninteresting minor alterations made by me, some internet guy? Of course we do, some internet guy! It's everything we've been waiting for and so much more! Just the other day I was wondering what Wing Commander would be like if only they'd treated the Kilrathi like lions instead of tigers! That's the exact question I had!

- Appealing to alternate history fans. The appeal of alternate history is the fact that it's an actual debate you can have fun with *forever*. Someone posits a single change to history and everyone debates what the effect might be. It's impossible to know, but every contributor can keep finding more and more evidence from history to support their opinion. Doesn't a single-serving "this is the alternate history of something" blorb with some internet guy's changes throughout defeat the purpose? Here's how Wing Commander works when I say it that way. Well, that's an interesting thought, but Fleet Action states that... oh, no, I changed that, it's not relevant anymore, this is how it works now.

- Creatively satisfying. It's like some pale shadow of 'world building', except in the end you haven't created your own unique playground, you've added a funny hat to someone else's. I mean, what's the reaction supposed to be? Wow, what an amazing future timeline you've created! Oh, no, I didn't do that, I just added this one part here and changed this one a little.

(... wasn't Prince Thrakhath a lion in Wing Commander II?)

The images section is a cross-section of real WC images, Saga, Standoff, some of Howard's work, etc.

Which is kind of weird, since he has a thread in his forum about how disappointed in Standoff he was.

I guess I just don't understand who the audience is for this or why anyone would put so much work into it.

Yeah it seems like a giant waste of time and I think we have already wasted to many brain cycles thinking about it.

Which is kind of weird, since he has a thread in his forum about how disappointed in Standoff he was.

Yeah I googled it (although you can't go to the thread it seems without signing up...I tried to find it browsing the forums but didn't want to wade through all that crap) and looked at the cached version....also notice that the header image has changed and there is no longer a link to images.

The Kiat said:
I have WC Standoff, and must say I'm a bit disappointed. They put a lot of effort into ship designs and such, but the mission designs... if I don't follow it to the letter (and half the letters are silent) then it's an automatic mission failed. Maybe it's just me. I have to use a mouse to fly that fighters. It might be a little easier if it was made for the 360.. speaking of which, Monkey Island 2 SE should be out today.

The Kiat said:
Well, if that's the case, it might take several more lifetimes to finish the whole game.

I have it on rookie! Rookie and invulnerable.

The Kiat said:
The problem is the narrow programming. You have to follow the mission to the letter in order to get a mission success, and they do not always have the whole thing spelled out.

I already thought this guy was a fucking moron, but now that's confirmation.

This also has to be one of the dumbest complaints. He doesn't follow mission orders so then fails the mission? Shocking!

He's also playing on Rookie with invulnerability on. A one-armed monkey with a smoking problem could beat Standoff under those conditions.

Total jerk off.

A one-armed monkey with a smoking problem could beat Standoff under those conditions.

Nope, sorry, I'm re-imagining this in my alternate history of this thread as a five-armed orangutan. It's just makes more sense.

I just wish this guy had put all this effort in helping WCPedia or something instead of spending all that time on that. Just isn't worth it.

Back