wing commander questions

ZODIACQ

Spaceman
Hi,

After playing WC2, more than 10 years ago. I finally acquired WC1, 3, 4 and 5. I've always been a fan of this game, and this website. I wanted the legal versions, so I had to wait (read until I got a job), to be able to spend money on it.

But I have a few questions.

1. I'm still missing the secret missions 1 & 2 for WC1.
I read somewhere that originally they could be downloaded. How can I see on my wing commander copy (this is a collection pack), that I actually have these add-ons.
And if not, is there a way to acquire this legally? Is this just up for download somewhere?

2. Is the Kilrathi sage worth buying it? And what is a fair price for this version?
I've seen prices of 400 euro (is about 450-500 USD).

3. Are the privateer and academy worth buying?

Thanks, and I hope to join conversations on this forum more often (after I have played through the original games).

1. I'm still missing the secret missions 1 & 2 for WC1.
I read somewhere that originally they could be downloaded. How can I see on my wing commander copy (this is a collection pack), that I actually have these add-ons.
And if not, is there a way to acquire this legally? Is this just up for download somewhere?

There is no way to legally download the original SM files for the DOS version. The KS versions are available, but obviously require KS. Your best bet to obtain them is to search online a find a copy of WC1 Deluxe which includes them on the CD. Also look for WC2 Deluxe as it includes the SOs. If you are lucky you might find a copy of WC1/2 Deluxe which includes everything on 1 disc.

2. Is the Kilrathi sage worth buying it? And what is a fair price for this version?
I've seen prices of 400 euro (is about 450-500 USD).

If you own the original DOS versions I don't really see a need to spend that kind of money especially since DOSBox makes it so easy to run the originals on modern systems.

3. Are the privateer and academy worth buying?

Privateer without question. It's a fantastic game.

Academy is really a WC2 mission editor, while fun I don't think it's a necessary addition. Granted the manual is great, but it's a purchase you might want to put off till later.

Thanks, and I hope to join conversations on this forum more often (after I have played through the original games).

Welcome aboard. As they say, "It's always good to see a friendly ship."

I don't feel I need to add more to Dundradal's answer, but in my opinion the Kilrathi Saga is definately worth seeking out - try eBay UK, most Brit sellers happily ship to mainland Europe.

It doesn't go for that much either. $100 is more common today. But you can get the DOS expansions for cheaper.

There is no way to legally download the original SM files for the DOS version. The KS versions are available, but obviously require KS. Your best bet to obtain them is to search online a find a copy of WC1 Deluxe which includes them on the CD. Also look for WC2 Deluxe as it includes the SOs. If you are lucky you might find a copy of WC1/2 Deluxe which includes everything on 1 disc.

If you own the original DOS versions I don't really see a need to spend that kind of money especially since DOSBox makes it so easy to run the originals on modern systems.

Privateer without question. It's a fantastic game.

Academy is really a WC2 mission editor, while fun I don't think it's a necessary addition. Granted the manual is great, but it's a purchase you might want to put off till later.

Welcome aboard. As they say, "It's always good to see a friendly ship."

Hey you forgot to mention WC Armada!! :(

Ah my bad, I felt sure I remember playing all the SMs straight from the KS package. Ah well, I take it back about that guy fooling us :D

Is armada a space sim? I got the impresssion it was more of a space rts.

It's a tactical game, you move carriers between systems and mine planets for resources, but you have the option of taking part in the dogfights too, you even get to fly an Arrow. The artwork is getting very close to WC3.

Is armada a space sim? I got the impresssion it was more of a space rts.

Like danr said it's more of a tactical game but it does have normal WC space flight as well as a pretty hard gauntlet. It's something you should consider adding after Privateer/RF when you have some spare cash.

If I play Armada, I tend to let the comp work out the battles, as it's far too easy for me to put 1 medium ship at a nav point and destroy 4 heavy fighters single handedly.

If I play Armada, I tend to let the comp work out the battles, as it's far too easy for me to put 1 medium ship at a nav point and destroy 4 heavy fighters single handedly.

Just pretend that the ship you're in is Blair's, and that you're Halcyon, and both of you are on different ships. It's part of the strategy to send you out! :D

You should try playing online. It's a lot of fun. wcnut was organizing games a few months ago, not sure where he went off to.

If you catch me online I'd probably be willing to play a game or two...whenever I play ChrisReid it ends with me watching my carrier explode....:p

You should try playing online. It's a lot of fun. wcnut was organizing games a few months ago, not sure where he went off to.

If you catch me online I'd probably be willing to play a game or two...whenever I play ChrisReid it ends with me watching my carrier explode....:p

Armada's awesome. I'm good for another game whenever anybody wants.

Many ages ago, I found a copy of Academy packaged in a jewel case hidden in a Electronics Boutique bin gathering dust. I don't believe it had the awesome manual you're referring to, so buyer beware if you are buying a copy from someone.

Back