Wing Commander: Prophecy - The Movie

Beckmen

Captain
I just finished making this for myself, thanks to GOG and of course this excellent website. It runs 147 minutes long and was made in MPEG-2 (DVD) format. Was wondering if...

1: People are interested in it, I can throw it up on youtube

2: If it's OK with wcnews that I do so, since I used the DVD enhancement pack files (for the FMV) and music from this site (music from Prophecy, WC3, WC 1 and 2 FM Towns and possibly WC4).

I'm sure people are interested... Queeg's movie versions of WC3 and WC4 were very popular. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/9441 Is it done in the same style with space combat game sequences intermixed with movie cutscenes?

YouTube isn't a bad idea, but some people would also like the file directly as well, as Triple-B mentions. We host Queeg's files locally at the CIC, and they're 1 and 2+ gigabytes each. So that we're prepared when the next big WC news breaks, we pay for a considerable amount of space and bandwidth on a dedicated server. It's always good to find ways to use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's edited similar to Queeg's movies. I actually did WC3 and WC4 but don't plan on uploading them because Queeg's movies are good.

As kind of a sample, here is an 'alternate universe' short film for Wing-4 (note the shot about a minute in, there are a few gaffes like this and audio problems here and there. It's not perfect.)

The movie file is 8 gigs, which is problematic for hosting. If one of the higher-ups wants to PM or email me we can hash out details. I might be able to encode a DivX version.

Have you had disabled the 3D effects in the game? I can't see any nebulas

edit: just in the first mission..

I just finished making this for myself, thanks to GOG and of course this excellent website. It runs 147 minutes long and was made in MPEG-2 (DVD) format. Was wondering if...

1: People are interested in it, I can throw it up on youtube

2: If it's OK with wcnews that I do so, since I used the DVD enhancement pack files (for the FMV) and music from this site (music from Prophecy, WC3, WC 1 and 2 FM Towns and possibly WC4).

Great job ! A Prophecy Movie project was missing all these years...I wish I had the skills to do it :) .

8Gigas is so Big ! How come ? Cant it be encoded to be smaller ( I really dont have a clue about video compression)

Also the "Alternate" Wc4 approach is great :)

Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully the mp4 downloadable version will be coming soon, the delay is my fault. It's just about 4 gigs.

Can the mpeg files be downloaded somewhere? All I can find are those youtube vids in flv format

Thanx :)

@Beckmen : only thing that is missing now, is the secret ops movie despite the fact, that there are no fmv movies, it would still make the storyline complete. :)

I downloaded the big movie and watched it over the weekend. I think you did a nice job of putting together all the scenes and in-flight communications that are most important for the plot and character development, while still keeping it at a reasonable length (under two and a half hours). I can't imagine it's easy arranging the first-person space combat segments in a way that's interesting and while some parts felt a tiny bit long I think cutting between Casey and his comrades and the destruction of capital ships were mostly done nicely. Some of the cuts between the movie scenes were handled nicely, especially where my memory would know there's an interactive player segment in between parts. Reusing some of the music compositions from earlier games (both Oldziey and Sanger) was a nice touch and helped give the soundtrack some variety without feeling too foreign to Prophecy's original arrangements. I did wonder about the choice of the 'losing credits' music for the final credits, though Cobalt 60's electronica probably would have felt out of place. At least it highlights the bittersweet nature of the victory, with Blair MIA and the knowledge that the enemy isn't permanently vanquished.

I haven't touched Prophecy for a while, so it was a nice trip down memory lane at the very least. Thanks.

I just picked the music I thought sounded good as end credits music. I didn't even know it was the losing credits music. It's a dark story, with kind of a downer ending.

Truth be told, the whole thing could be a lot more polished. I didn't get the hang of getting the in-flight b-roll (cameras other than F1) until probably half-way through the game; but I didn't want to spend the time going back aside from a few insert shots here and there. There are a few missions that probably didn't need to be in there from a narrative perspective, and I am sure a few of them go on a bit too long. My mission was to deliver something that would allow people who've never played the game to experience the story, though. I didn't go into it expecting it to be refined enough to be considered in any way official.

Again, thanks for the feedback. I appreciate hearing people's thoughts.

Back