Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops Model Update Pack

The updated F-103 D is done and ready for Vision-isation.

I can do that, although the red intakes would probably mean that the Excal has a matter/antimatter reactor in it (at least that's what we can infer since the dragon is the only ship with red intakes that I'm aware of) so blue would be the obvious choice.

View attachment 9322 View attachment 9323 View attachment 9324 View attachment 9325 View attachment 9326
Beautiful! What about the jump engines?

Fellow wingnuts - I give you a MUPpetized Orca, courtesy of @Dark Sentinel ! The learning curve on the bugs for converting capships is a bit steeper than Confed, but now that I've ironed out the wrinkles it should be smoother sailing. The bug destroyer is lean and mean - Also sporting destructible plasma guns (they aren't active but they could be with a tweak to the ship file) a destructible launcher, and some very nice damaged/destroyed meshes. It should look quite satisfactory blown up as well as menacing your Pelicans.

Orca1.jpg Orca2.jpg Orca3.jpg Orca4.jpg Orca5.jpg

cannot wait to play WCP with this, liked it more than Secret Ops (which was too much power-fantasy and not enough cinematic experience for me)

Nice! Can't Wat to blow it up :)

I've seen how many tri's it's made up of. How's the games frame rate hold out?

With turrets and everything I think it's about 45K tris. I ran it on Ella Deep Strike one, the final battle has 1 Orca (45K) 2 new Barracudas (3,800 each), 3 shrikes (16K each), 3 tbolts (21K), 3 excals (17K), 3 panthers (6.5K), 3 mantas (5K), 6 Morays (3K), and 2 tritons, those are the originals. and no noticeable frame rate issues. I'll try again with the FPS counter on, but it ran smoothly at or near 65 FPS the whole mission.

****Update****
It ran at 65 FPS the entire mission except for about ten seconds or so at the start of the final battle where it dropped to 63 FPS then jumped back up.

Last edited:
With turrets and everything I think it's about 45K tris. I ran it on Ella Deep Strike one, the final battle has 1 Orca (45K) 2 new Barracudas (3,800 each), 3 shrikes (16K each), 3 tbolts (21K), 3 excals (17K), 3 panthers (6.5K), 3 mantas (5K), 6 Morays (3K), and 2 tritons, those are the originals. and no noticeable frame rate issues. I'll try again with the FPS counter on, but it ran smoothly at or near 65 FPS the whole mission.

****Update****
It ran at 65 FPS the entire mission except for about ten seconds or so at the start of the final battle where it dropped to 63 FPS then jumped back up.
This is quite light in terms of tris. Great job!

This stuff looks fantastic!

But I must ask... is there ever any hope for better FOV when playing this game and the free mod Standoff in widescreen? As is the game simply zooms in when in widescreen and compresses the FOV.

This stuff looks fantastic!

But I must ask... is there ever any hope for better FOV when playing this game and the free mod Standoff in widescreen? As is the game simply zooms in when in widescreen and compresses the FOV.

Thanks!

potentially in the future. In order to do widescreen properly we'd need to recreate some of the 2D HUD art. right now the focus is on replacing the 3d assets.

Good news all,

All the capships for the latest release of the MUP are ready. Packaging shall begin here shortly, stay tuned...

Also - because he was nice and shared his model with me way back, and he's been modeling WC before I knew what a spline was, I replaced my Shrike with Howard Day's version. pics below. Look for it as well as Stingrays and Plunketts and Orcas (Oh my!) in your next upgrade pack release coming soon.

ShrikeHoWDay1.jpg ShrikeHoWDay2.jpg ShrikeHoWDay3.jpg

Keep up the great work! :D
Can you post a Done/To Do list so we can see how far you have come? Maybe post it whenever you post the updated MUP's?

Thanks,
Shades

Last edited:
I dunno if it is helpful - but back in 2009, I recreated the shrike model in 3d, in semi-high res, using the original Prophecy cinematics textures and model as a base. I never did anything with it, nor did anyone else, AFAIK. It might look okay with your other fighters? At least as a reference.
http://www.hedfiles.net/shriketex.zip
Enjoy.

Never say never...:) I imported it into the MUP - with your permission I'd like to make it a permanent addition.

MUPalpha32a.jpg

It's MUP Release day! Version .32a is packaged and ready for you to try!

Changes in .32a:

New Models:
  • Barracuda Corvette
  • Orca Destroyer
  • Plunkett Artillery Cruiser
  • Squid Interceptor
  • Stingray & Stingray Cluster
  • Vaktoth Heavy Fighter
  • Howard Day's TB-81 Shrike
  • Excalibur 2.0
Other Enhancements:

• WCP Unlimited now includes new features for pre-loading materials and bitmaps. The intent is to correct the "pause" that occurs in-game when ships are dynamically generated (ie. second waves, ships that jump in, etc.) This will minimally increase load times at the start of missions, but will provide a smoother and more stable in-game experience. If this causes instability you may disable pre-caching by adding the following lines to your WCPUNL.cfg file:

preloadMaterials=0
    preloadBitmaps=0

For those pilots who think they have the sand for it, try adding the following setting:

ultraNightmare = 1
Bug Fixes:
  • Corrected reported issue with Tigershark rocket pods
  • Corrected Tigershark mesh - added fuselage mounted mass-drivers
  • recolored WCP tigershark texture to make it more like FMV model

What are you waiting for cadet? Grab your copy HERE!

I've also corrected an annoying bug in this package which used to always overwrite HCl's DVD patch with an old version of the dll... I changed that behaviour.

I've updated the all-in Secret Ops enhanced installer with the new MUP package too. I had not updated it ever since the first MUP version. Still beta, but you can get it here.

Yeah, awesome. :)

A quick note: Make sure you temporarily shut down your antivirus software (Avast in my case) before installing the MUP, as the installer may cause false alarms.

Back