Wing Commander on the Amiga 500

FredDude32

Rear Admiral
I don't know how many of you played WC on the Amiga 500 (like I did), but to show how it was I put together a video on the first McAulife mission on an emulated Amiga 500.

The amiga 500 had a 7½ Mhz CPU, 512kb RAM and no harddrive (as standard anyways) which meant you had to switch the three disks as events ocurred. The result was a slideshow for much of the game. The upside to that was easier dogfights since things moved so slowly.

What you'll see is in the video is exactly how it was on the 500 minus the disk-swaps which simply removed by emulating three diskdrives. (standard on the 500 was one diskdrive). The short lagspikes aren't a Youtube thing or video thing it's just how it was on the 500.

It wasn't until the Commodore CD32 console that Wing Commander was done justice in my opinion. I never got my hands on either the game or the console though.
Regardless, I enjoyed the hell out of WC on the 500. The music, the story, the action, the feeling you were doing something important in-game. Can't beat it!

Another thing: The second of the three disks held the saved games and I learned quickly to make backups of the second disk as it had a tendency to become corrupted for some reason.

Back