Wing Commander IV DVD

NoMention

Rear Admiral
I just won the Wing Commander IV DVD (Dual Sided) one off of Ebay for $5. The seller didn't even list it in the title but sold it as part of a 4 game set. I had to ask the guy which one it was and he said it was the dual sided single layer one. Hopefully it arrives in the next week or so. My question is that I currently have an ATI Rage Fury (32MB AGP) which does DVD decoding in Hardware along with a Voodoo2 (12MB) PCI card. If I add a dxr2, which I have available, is there some way that I have to tell WC IV to "use" it? Or will it automagically just work?

Thanks
NoMention

No, you won't have to specifically point it out. As far as WC4-DVD is concerned, the other cards are just regular video cards, as the game is looking for the MCI drivers that are part of the software for the DXr2/3.

Depending on the software DVD driver NoMention has installed it MIGHT be that the MCI spot is already taken however (WinDVD for example). So it might indeed be needed to change the configuration manually.

I have a dxr2 board sitting on the shelf. I do not have any DVD software already on this computer. I pretty much took an old P3 500 and wiped it clean then installed Windows 98 so that I could still have access to DOS (since ME doesn't appear to have the same). My existing video card, the Rage Fury AGP, has hardware DVD decoding. I have spare PCI slots and don't have a problem with installing the dxr2 board, I just wanted to know if this caused problems. I don't want the computer to get "confused".

Back