Wing Commander in Doom???

Had a brief moment of 'what the hell?' when I saw this :D let me get it straight - it's a space ship mod for the Doom FPS engine? Am I missing something? I guess if you removed all walls, so it's a complete open maze, you could kind of emulate dogfighting but of course the ship would be able to fly backwards.

I remember finding a "TCS Tiger's Claw" DooM map on AOL back in the day. I was all excited to try it out... and it turned out to be a big rectangular room (a hangar?) with some Imps in it.

I remember finding a "TCS Tiger's Claw" DooM map on AOL back in the day. I was all excited to try it out... and it turned out to be a big rectangular room (a hangar?) with some Imps in it.

It's funny, I was thinking the other day with all of the map editors and enemy creators there are for Doom/Quake/Duke 3D, it would probably be quite easy to make our very own Wing Commander FPS. Repelling a Kilrathi invasion of a carrier could be fun. Perhaps I'll give it a try if ever I finish my other ongoing Wing Commander projects!

There was something a few months back about Origin actually considering doing that - making a Wing Commander FPS, I mean. I'm trying to remember if that was the project that ultimately was developed into System Shock or if it was the ShadowForce one (where you were part of a special ops team). I'll have to go back and check now.

Either way it'd be an interesting idea.

EDIT: Its the one that was developed into System Shock - the original idea was called "Alien Commander" and it would've involved a mission in the hulk of Tiger's Claw.

You are correct that an initial pitch for "Alien Commander" became System Shock, but I believe you're thinking of Wing Commander: Hazardous Duty, which was a pitch the team put together in 1997. It would have been a Quake-engine game. I've heard they had multiplayer up and running with humans versus Kilrathi marines internally at Origin. We recently unearthed a video of the demo level: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/16/hazardous-duty-pitch-revealed

(Alien Commander would have taken place on the wreckage of the Tiger's Claw.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a pretty decent UDK project. Think Gears of War in the WC universe...

One of the many ideas I've fleshed out in my head/on paper. Rough story draft done, sketches etc. etc. Oh to have a time machine. And not have to work for a living. And have unlimited money. If anything, I should just finish the project to do with my little avatar on the left there...

You are correct that an initial pitch for "Alien Commander" became System Shock, but I believe you're thinking of Wing Commander: Hazardous Duty, which was a pitch the team put together in 1997. It would have been a Quake-engine game. I've heard they had multiplayer up and running with humans versus Kilrathi marines internally at Origin. We recently unearthed a video of the demo level: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/16/hazardous-duty-pitch-revealed

(Alien Commander would have taken place on the wreckage of the Tiger's Claw.)

Ah, that is what I was thinking about; I remembered there was a project where they actually had a prototype up and running but couldn't remember the name. "Hazardous Duty" - I'll have to remember that for the future.

Could be a pretty decent UDK project. Think Gears of War in the WC universe...

Teh setting = Repleetah.......maybe as part of Miles D'Arby's last platoon or something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I pop onto Zdaemon every now and again and play some doom and I have never seen this before. Interesting.

Back