Wing Commander in Doom???

-danr-

Vice Admiral
Had a brief moment of 'what the hell?' when I saw this :D let me get it straight - it's a space ship mod for the Doom FPS engine? Am I missing something? I guess if you removed all walls, so it's a complete open maze, you could kind of emulate dogfighting but of course the ship would be able to fly backwards.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
I remember finding a "TCS Tiger's Claw" DooM map on AOL back in the day. I was all excited to try it out... and it turned out to be a big rectangular room (a hangar?) with some Imps in it.

-danr-

Vice Admiral
I remember finding a "TCS Tiger's Claw" DooM map on AOL back in the day. I was all excited to try it out... and it turned out to be a big rectangular room (a hangar?) with some Imps in it.

It's funny, I was thinking the other day with all of the map editors and enemy creators there are for Doom/Quake/Duke 3D, it would probably be quite easy to make our very own Wing Commander FPS. Repelling a Kilrathi invasion of a carrier could be fun. Perhaps I'll give it a try if ever I finish my other ongoing Wing Commander projects!

capi3101

Rear Admiral
There was something a few months back about Origin actually considering doing that - making a Wing Commander FPS, I mean. I'm trying to remember if that was the project that ultimately was developed into System Shock or if it was the ShadowForce one (where you were part of a special ops team). I'll have to go back and check now.

Either way it'd be an interesting idea.

EDIT: Its the one that was developed into System Shock - the original idea was called "Alien Commander" and it would've involved a mission in the hulk of Tiger's Claw.

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
You are correct that an initial pitch for "Alien Commander" became System Shock, but I believe you're thinking of Wing Commander: Hazardous Duty, which was a pitch the team put together in 1997. It would have been a Quake-engine game. I've heard they had multiplayer up and running with humans versus Kilrathi marines internally at Origin. We recently unearthed a video of the demo level: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/16/hazardous-duty-pitch-revealed

(Alien Commander would have taken place on the wreckage of the Tiger's Claw.)

Last edited by a moderator:

Wojo

Rear Admiral
Could be a pretty decent UDK project. Think Gears of War in the WC universe...

One of the many ideas I've fleshed out in my head/on paper. Rough story draft done, sketches etc. etc. Oh to have a time machine. And not have to work for a living. And have unlimited money. If anything, I should just finish the project to do with my little avatar on the left there...

capi3101

Rear Admiral
You are correct that an initial pitch for "Alien Commander" became System Shock, but I believe you're thinking of Wing Commander: Hazardous Duty, which was a pitch the team put together in 1997. It would have been a Quake-engine game. I've heard they had multiplayer up and running with humans versus Kilrathi marines internally at Origin. We recently unearthed a video of the demo level: https://www.wcnews.com/news/2013/05/16/hazardous-duty-pitch-revealed

(Alien Commander would have taken place on the wreckage of the Tiger's Claw.)

Ah, that is what I was thinking about; I remembered there was a project where they actually had a prototype up and running but couldn't remember the name. "Hazardous Duty" - I'll have to remember that for the future.

Could be a pretty decent UDK project. Think Gears of War in the WC universe...

Teh setting = Repleetah.......maybe as part of Miles D'Arby's last platoon or something.

Last edited by a moderator:

Halcyon

Spaceman
I pop onto Zdaemon every now and again and play some doom and I have never seen this before. Interesting.