Wing Commander II scores 50 on IGN

Jesus

Swabbie
Banned
Out of the top 100 games on their revised list, Wing Commander II scored the 50th place. Much to my surprise, it surpased Super Smash Brothers Melee(one of the funnest multiplayer games out there in my opinion). Wing Commander II was directly behind some real classics too, including Grim Fandango, Super Mario World, Soul Callibur, Yoshi's Island, Battlefeild 1942, and Secret of Mana. You can see the list on WCII's page here.

I'm sorry, but I have to question the validity of any "best games ever" list if they decide to include sports games that come out every single year. Some sports incarnations are hitting 15-20 years now, so how can any of them be considred the greatest?

I think it's more of an "extremely notable of it's time" kind of thing. You could say that a sequel was better than an original game, but then again, the sequel didn't have that same freshness of brilliance that the original had. If you read the comments, most of the sports games are radical changes from their prequels, and that's what got them on the list. Still, making it that high on such a well known website's top 100 list is quite the feat.

Around the year 2000, "best games of the millennium" articles were very popular. Wing Commander earned quite a few top five and top ten ratings in those. I think one major publication gave it as high as a third best game of all time score.

"real classics too, including Grim Fandango"?

Grim Fandango is a classic? Not meaning to bash the game, but I don't see it being a classic. Monkey Island, yes. Indiana Jones, yes. GF? Surely not.

You can't go wrong with film noir any more than you can go wrong with pirates or Indiana Jones. GF is a classic. :p

Lists like that are only good for the people that wrote them.

I look at them and see an appreciation article. Saying who they give props too. It's more like a popularity thing than a helpful thing.

Anyhow, thanks for the link. These lists are still useful for reminding you about a game next time you walk by the bargain bin.

cff said:
"real classics too, including Grim Fandango"?

Grim Fandango is a classic? Not meaning to bash the game, but I don't see it being a classic. Monkey Island, yes. Indiana Jones, yes. GF? Surely not.

No way! In every single way that game is a classic!

Back