Wing Commander Duo Appearing In Dungeon Siege (June 6, 2006)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
There's a new video game movie in the works, and it features not one - but two! - actors from the Wing Commander series. Last year we reported that John Rhys-Davies and Matthew Lillard would be starring in Uwe Boll's follow-up to BloodRayne. In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale follows Microsoft's fantasy RPG storyline with Burt Reynolds as the king and Ray Liotta as the evil bad guy. Leelee Sobieski, Ron Perlman, Claire Forlani and Kristanna Loken also have starring roles. At one point the movie was to be split into two parts, but apparently it's being scaled down and merged back into one film. This has put the release date in flux. In the mean time, you can check out the 12 meg trailer here. Paladin seems to deliver a characteristically solid performance, but watch out for Lillard's appearance beginning about two minutes and ten seconds in.

--
Original update published on June 6, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
I need only see that that name to know this will suck.

ChrisReid said:
There's a new video game movie in the works, and it features not one - but two! - actors from the Wing Commander series. Last year we reported that John Rhys-Davies and Matthew Lillard would be starring in Uwe Boll's follow-up to BloodRayne.

Uwe Boll? Uwe Boll. Ugh. This is the master of the D-movie. He's one of the main reasons why Video Game movies suck. If there was a choice between a 2nd year film student and Uwe Boll as the director, you'd get better results with the film student. As many insults as I've heard about the Wing Commander Movie, it would have been 1/4 the quality it was if Uwe Boll was helming it. If they're going to keep funding his steaming piles, Mr. Roberts deserves another shot at the director's chair. Roberts is many times over a better director than Boll is.

If Hannibal Lector really existed, Boll would leave a bad taste in his mouth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jason Statham

According to the last picture, there's also Jason Statham in it ...

Bandit LOAF said:
He seems like an average director that the internet decided to become obsessed with.

Your point is well noted. I have seen a couple of his films, his movies are still bad.... very bad. Though in reality, if you go to the video store it's probably on par with a wide range of direct-to-video releases. But his stuff keeps getting theatrical releases. though they don't last long there, they are also garnering a certain amount of exposure from the way they get reviewed in comparison to other hollywood fare. Internet culture is closely nit to the video game culture though and so I suppose he gets extra ire and notice because of this.

I didn't really know anything about him when I rented Alone in the Dark, yet I found it hilariously terrible. But I've honestly seen (or at least saw parts of) *worse* movies.... l

He certainly hasn't made a good movie... but there's thousands upon thousands of directors out there who haven't made good movies -- the fact that the internet decided to pick on this one because it's a cool thing to repeat irks me towards his favor.

Bandit LOAF said:
the fact that the internet decided to pick on this one because it's a cool thing to repeat irks me towards his favor.
can't speak for all the others, but i for one don't like boll not because it's in to hate him, but because i have seen his movies, read his interviews, and found him to be an idiot. now the world is full of those, and most can be ignored rather easily, but he is being sold as the director for video game movies, and constantly being shoved into my face...
what's worse is that he totally lacks understanding of his own errors, or why gamers say he's a crappy director. just look at what he's done to alone in the dark, and then read why he did it...

If video gamers as a culture are going to be angry whenever someone makes a bad video game movie then they should just stop going to the movies entirely.

Also, people who can't figure out the shift key aren't in a great position to call anyone else an idiot.

Kedrigh said:
yeah, can't get much worse than him... i wonder why anyone still hires him at all...

There's some trick about his business model. His actuals aren't so bad as the box office versus budget totals would suggest. I've heard he's eligible to take advantage of some old laws or regulations designed to promote post-war industries in Germany. It sounded like a magnification of what Chris Roberts was able to save by filming Wing Commander in Luxembourg, except with reimbursements or rebates for poor performance. It's hard to get decent DVD sales and rental figures too. Far more people complain about Uwe Boll than ever go see his films in theaters, and I have to imagine a whole bunch of them end up giving him money through alternative means down the line. The quality and source material of his movies have turned into an incredible free hype machine. It must be working, because he's already got several more films lined up after Dungeon Siege.

Bandit LOAF said:
If video gamers as a culture are going to be angry whenever someone makes a bad video game movie then they should just stop going to the movies entirely.
if this was just about someone making a bad video game movie (say, bartkowiak and doom - hey, look, good and evil are genetically coded, it's eugenics and the nazis all over the place again, whee), no one would complain to this extent. this is, however, about somone making three crappy video game movies, with a fourth in post production, and two others in pre production.
the world leader in shitty video game picturizations.
Also, people who can't figure out the shift key aren't in a great position to call anyone else an idiot.
aw, shucks, you make me feel right at home here.

while (self.inKindergarten()) {
cry("Havoc!");
dogsOfWar.letSlip();}

ChrisReid said:
There's some trick about his business model. His actuals aren't so bad as the box office versus budget totals would suggest. I've heard he's eligible to take advantage of some old laws or regulations designed to promote post-war industries in Germany.
yeah, there certainly are lots of such laws here, but even with the governmental support the numbers seem somewhat bad, and his canon/story butchering goes way beyond small artistic liberties.
i can only hope that he at least becomes a better director with time, though judging by his filmography that is rather unlikely.

Kedrigh said:
if this was just about someone making a bad video game movie (say, bartkowiak and doom - hey, look, good and evil are genetically coded, it's eugenics and the nazis all over the place again, whee), no one would complain to this extent. this is, however, about somone making three crappy video game movies, with a fourth in post production, and two others in pre production.
the world leader in shitty video game picturizations.
aw, shucks, you make me feel right at home here.

while (self.inKindergarten()) {
cry("Havoc!");
dogsOfWar.letSlip();}
1. Same as LOAF
2. WTH is that?

Back