Wing Commander Arena Midway Question

I was just looking at pictures of the midway from arena and I can't figure out why it has at least have a dozen antennas sticking just straight up for no apparent reason. I was wondering what are they there for?

To support the new gameplay mechanics. They're pretty shocking I know, but hopefully they won't feel the need to incorporate them into any future games should be so lucky.

Imagine her without those though and it's actually quite an improvement :)

To support the new gameplay mechanics. They're pretty shocking I know, but hopefully they won't feel the need to incorporate them into any future games should be so lucky.

Shocking! Just shocking!

Yeah, if a Midway has antenna in the next game.. boy.. I just.. don't know what we'll do.

That’s it people. It’s all over. There is a tiny red capsule in the zippered compartment beneath your O2 connectors. Take it and go to sleep.

Come on its hideous as is. Yes yes its a space ship, air resistance isn't an issue, but near enough every sci-fi show and is kind enough to make its ships sleek just so that they're aesthetically pleasing.... besides imagine how many folds the paper model version would involve :(

that is your opinion.

I, personally, find the new midway model more visually interesting than the old in almost every way.

and WC:prophecy is one of my favorite games in the series.

The old midway is just a cleverly disguised 'U'

It's all such a farce, isn't it? When Prophecy came out everyone moaned that the Midway was awful because it didn't have fly through bays and it looked like a pair of pants and so on and so forth.

... now it's the greatest thing in the universe and anything different is a horrible offense?

I didn't agree with you people then and I don't agree now - righteous indignation is nowhere near as cute as you think.

Come on its hideous as is. Yes yes its a space ship, air resistance isn't an issue, but near enough every sci-fi show and is kind enough to make its ships sleek just so that they're aesthetically pleasing.

I have it on good authority that the new Midway doesn't find you very aesthetically pleasing.

It's all such a farce, isn't it? When Prophecy came out everyone moaned that the Midway was awful because it didn't have fly through bays and it looked like a pair of pants and so on and so forth.

... now it's the greatest thing in the universe and anything different is a horrible offense?

And before that, it was all people complaining about how the blocky WC3/4 ships were so ugly and different from "real" Wing Commander designs. The only consolation now is that in a few years people will finally start to realize how incredible it is that they brought back all kinds of awesome Wing Commander designs from the last fifteen years.

You'd think we'd have no negativity since this is the first new Wing Commander game in over a decade.

Let's save the nitpicking for WC Arena 5...

Current Gaming Dreams:
... Privateer on XBOX Live Arcade would be Awesomeness Ensued...

You'd think we'd have no negativity since this is the first new Wing Commander game in over a decade.

You might think that, but us cynical folks wouldn't... even if there hadn't already been proof to the contrary, on this very forum. :p

I never said the original midway was awesome, I said the new one is hideous ;)
Truth be told I never found the capital ship designs in wing commander matching the quality of the awesome fighter designs, save perhaps the Tigers Claw :)
The same is true of arena, I love the updated fighters, but the Midway IMHO, well we've covered that :p

Lets not forget we're talking about elements born out of necessity, I don't just think a standard title in franchise shouldn't use the design, I think it won't because it has no cause to.

I think we're going to learn more about this particular Midway in the future -- including why it could or could not be important for future stories.

Back