Wing Commander Arena Discounted to Just 99 Cents in Final Month! (June 19, 2024)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
We've been reporting for a while now that Wing Commander Arena's days are numbered in the Microsoft XBox Live Marketplace. The game has had an incredible 17 year run, but all Xbox 360 games that aren't forward-compatible with the Xbox One/Series systems will be delisted from the company's digital storefront on July 29, 2024. The good news is that owners will be able to continue to play online for the foreseeable future, so we've been strongly recommending people buy the game while they have the chance. If you have yet to secure your own copy, there's no time like the present. Microsoft is in the process of heavily discounting a variety of the affected games, which includes a whopping 90% reduction for Arena. It's now only $0.99! You can buy it on the web, but there have been mixed reports of the store hanging and timing out. Try a different browser or return later if you have an issue. See you out in the Antares Quadrant!

Thanks to Mr. Freight and Timothy Chan for the tip!

--
Original update published on June 19, 2024

So...how can I get this to run on my Xbox One? Can I get it to run on it? Paid the dollar at the marketplace but I don't see where I can download it or anything...

Yes, the reason that it's being delisted and is on sale is specifically because it's not compatible with the Xbox One. All games (including OG and 360 games) that are available to be played on the Xbox One and newer will continue in the Xbox store going forward.

Someday people will figure out how to get Arena playing via emulation on your computer, and when that happens, you can sleep better knowing you spent $1 to own a fully licensed copy.

Back