Wing commander 3 demo

Kevin Caccamo

Rear Admiral
No matter if I run the wing commander 3 demo in Windows XP with compatibility mode on or even if I try to run wing commander 3 demo in dosbox, I always get exception 0.

Is there another way to run the WC3 demo in WinXP or Dosbox that won't cause an exception 0?

I was about to post exactly this question, but I thought I'd do a search first and see if anyone else was getting a crash-to-dos, in DOSBox, with the message "exception 0 occured" when running the WC3 demo. This thread was the only search result.

Um... I don't suppose anyone's come up with any ideas about how to fix this? :)

It looks like WC3demo does some speed checks which mess up in DOSBox as it crashes just before it would display those benchmarks. Video memory is way too fast in DOSBox, this may be related. Maybe you can start it with 7000 cycles or maybe less and then increase the cycles after passing this spinning carrier.

Hey, it worked!

That's a wierd one, I really wasn't expecting that to work. Thanks for the help.

By the way, it seems to have worked to set it to cylces=7000 just for the setup thing, which it seems to save. If I get into the program again, it bypasses that setup thing, so it seems to be safe to set it to cycles=max. Performance is pretty good, too.

Back