Wing Commander 2 in WinXp

Tarquinn

Rear Admiral
A few years ago I bought the WC2 Deluxe Edition. I was completly unable to run this game on my old Win98 machine.

I upgraded to WinXp some time ago and gave it another try. Now it actually runs. A little bit fast perhaps, but that can be fixed easily.

However, I encountered a common problem; no sound.

Any ideas how to fix that? Or do you need to know more?

Thanks much. :)

The WC2 setup uses IRQ, DMA and port settings. If you find these values and input them, the sound should work.

I don't have XP, but others have reported that "vdmsound" has helped with lots of legacy sound problems and XP.

vdmsound is an awesome tool. Thanks again.

Does anyone else have a problem with uncomplete graphics in the cut scenes? I can only see the cockpit section of my fighter, the body is kinda cut off and missing.

Damn, those pesky furballs sure hit me good.... =p

Ah, I've seen that before.

While the flight engine is frame limited in WC2, the cutscenes are not. So those cutscenes where a side-view of a fighter slowly crawls across the screen actually zips past on modern computers. On the old computers these games were designed for, you would only ever see the cockpit. Hence, they only drew the cockpit.

At the end of SM1, if you lose, you'll see Human slaves working in the mines for the Kilrathi. If you wait long enough and/or have a fast computer, the different layers in the scene will disappear as they scroll off. :)

Ah, I could've sworn that there was a full fighter when I played the game the last time. About ten years ago... :p

Tarquinn said:
vdmsound is an awesome tool. Thanks again.

Does anyone else have a problem with uncomplete graphics in the cut scenes? I can only see the cockpit section of my fighter, the body is kinda cut off and missing.

Damn, those pesky furballs sure hit me good.... =p

Iv'e never had that problem

Wedge009 said:
Ah, I've seen that before.

While the flight engine is frame limited in WC2, the cutscenes are not. So those cutscenes where a side-view of a fighter slowly crawls across the screen actually zips past on modern computers. On the old computers these games were designed for, you would only ever see the cockpit. Hence, they only drew the cockpit.

At the end of SM1, if you lose, you'll see Human slaves working in the mines for the Kilrathi. If you wait long enough and/or have a fast computer, the different layers in the scene will disappear as they scroll off. :)

Drawing a portion of the fighter was one of many space-saving methods, since the game had to fit on a few 3 1/2 floppies. Details were shortchanged because no one envisioned the game being played over a decade later on astronomically faster machines.

::releases a nostalgic sigh reminiscing on my old 286::

Obviously. :)

That's why I still have a 386 to play the old WCs on. I don't have that much in the way of time/money/knowledge to build a 'dedicated' WC computer like some others have.

How do you get WC2 on XP. I tried installing it but it gives me error #23 about the IRQs. How do I fix this? And how do I get it to play at the right speed?

Back