Wing Commander 1 controls

Oceankhayne

Rear Admiral
Going through the documentation for WC1 I can't find anything the keyboard shortcuts for com messages. I know b is for break and attack but I don't know the others and I can't seem to find them. In WC2 it was changed to Alt-b and various other control changes so no help there. I might just have to test it out myself and see. I've been setting up for a replay using XBCD drivers along with xpadder. XBCD drivers to give my Onza TE controller stick a deadzone (to help with drift) and Xpadder to remap the keys to keyboard inputs (xpadder also adds a function for shift like keys that change control sets while pressed. Like the metroid games have for firing missiles.). Using Taewoong's build of dosbox for mt-32 emulation using a cm-32l rom I ripped a while back. (pain in the ass to do but I couldn't find one looking around at the time, I'm looking for a cm-64 to rip as well but so far haven't found one at a price I'm willing to spend for antiquated technology <=$50, heck, the thing doesn't have to be working really.)

IIRC, the specific keyboard shortcuts for comms messages wasn't implemented until WC2, so you had no choice but to do it the hard way...hit "C" to activate the system and then the number keys to issue the specific message.

I could be wrong, of course. If that's the case, I would assume the comms shortcuts are the same for WC1 as they are for WC2, since none of the other keyboard controls changed between the two games. That would be Alt-B for Break and Attack, Alt-F for Form on my Wing, Alt-H for Help Me out, and Alt-A for Attack my Target, with all other comms having no shortcuts.

Yeah, I know b for break and attack works as I've used it but I couldn't find the others. Either that or your wingman attacks before you on it's own without being prompted to.

The shorcuts were a new innovation for WC2, so there are no shortcuts in WC1. Actually I kinda doubt that 'b' works for break and attack - its the first time I heart that.

The shorcuts were a new innovation for WC2, so there are no shortcuts in WC1. Actually I kinda doubt that 'b' works for break and attack - its the first time I heart that.

I just tried it, the b key definately tells your wingman to break and attack.

Here are a few shortcut keys that let you send messages directly from the cockpit:

B Send Break and Attack/Attack my Target message to wingman.
E Send random taunt to targeted enemy.
H Send Help Me Out Here! message to wingman.
R Request landing (when Claw is targeted)/Form on my wing

This is directly from the Super Wing Commander Manual. Iam not sure if these apply to Wc1 .Ive never used comm shortcuts. Give them a try

It might be different. Super Wing Commander has an unfortunate comm system where you pause the game to access the communications menu (like using the nav map.) It was a requirement for the console version but I have no idea why they kept it in the Macintosh port...

Interestingly "B" for Break Formation

and "H" for Help Work ! "E" Doesnt taunt the enemy though and I was too lazy to finish a mission to try "R" for Request permission to land.

I have tested them on Wc1 Kilrathi Saga version. Ill give later a try the Dos version and the "R" button

EDIT: LOAF you could test the Amiga version , now that you have a working Amiga ;)

Back