Windows update broke GOG/DOSBox WC3?

-danr-

Vice Admiral
EDIT: Apologies. Mistake in thread title. I'm using the Origin WC3 version, not GOG.

I was midway through a WC3 playthrough. Everything was working well with the stock Origin DOSBox settings.

Then yesterday, my PC downloaded and installed a monster Windows feature update. It took about 10-15 minutes to install the updates, and it's not a slow computer.

But now, Origin WC3 suddenly has problems. Almost every new screen I access in the game hangs for several seconds.

For instance, I leave the Hangar Deck and walk up the stairs, suddenly the sound starts hanging/looping and the animation of Blair going up the stairs stalls for a few seconds then carries on as normal. It's exactly the same for every cutscene, meaning that exploring the carrier is a very slow and frustrating process.

Specs if it makes any difference: Ryzen 3600. RTX 3060Ti. 16GB DDR4. Western Digital SSD. Windows 10 Home Ver 20H2.

So far all I've tried is adjusting the DOSBox settings, to no avail, I deleted the game completely and reinstalled it, and I've messed around with administrator settings but nothing thus far has worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Try this settings in the Dosbox config.

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto 70%

[mixer]
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=10000

maybe this configuration can help

Last edited:
Try this settings in the Dosbox config.

[cpu]
core=auto
cputype=auto
cycles=auto 70%

[mixer]
rate=44100
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=10000

maybe this configuration can help

Thanks for the reply! I changed those lines in the dosbox config, but unfortunately the problem still happens.

It's really strange, I can't for certain blame the Windows update, but previously it was working fine. I guess I could roll back and try.

Its a strange Problem🤔 .. i cant understand why .. because your Hardware is excellent
on normal way ..windows 10 runs stable and fine

Back