Windows 95 help

maniac89

I love Wing Commander: Prophecy
Hey guys! I have an old Windows 95 laptop with a Pentimun II processor, and I need some help with it. I have a document on it written in Microsoft Word 97, and when I try to copy it to a disc it says "Cannot copy (the name of the document) to a disc. Make sure you specified the correct path and file-name."
Now why the heck does it say that? I did specify the correct path and file-name. And I even saw on Windows XP you can put files like that in Breifcase on the disc but apparently not in Windows 95.
Can anyone help?

Thanks,
The Maniac

Bad floppy, try another. (They go bad so easily, it's not funny. You can often go through 4 or 5 before hitting a good one.)

Of course, if you have a network card, just use Windows networking to transfer the file. Or if there's a serial port, use hyperterminal and send it over the serial port.

If you're adventurous, remove the hard drive from the old PC, put it in your current computer, and copy it from XP...

(The other issues perhaps are that the hard drive has gone bad, the filesystem is corrupted, your floppy drive is bad, or Windows is corrupted...).

The questions is what medium you have available to copy it to.

setting up a network connection to an XP machine is the easiest way.

If you move the drive from your old PC to your XP one, XP should recognize it when you boot it, so it just shows up. Then just copy the file to your XP drive and all is well...

If someone's asking how to copy a hard drive, it'll be a lot more complicated for them than just moving the drive over. Same for the serial transfer. Even networking two computers will take some work if you've never done it before, but that's the best way here to copy stuff. It just sounds like the floppy disk was bad though. Try another.

Other solution that's popular, too (also involving removal of a drive).

Take hard drive out of PC. Go shopping and buy USB drive case. Follow instructions to install drive in case. Plug into XP PC.

Back