Where to go in france and england

Ii lived in Provence (in the south of France) for about a year - I would certainly endorse such an experience.

... although it'd probably help us if you'd tell us what you're looking for. Castles? World War II airplanes? Castles with World War II airplanes in them?

Wow, having just returned about a month ago from both England and France I would recommend that in London you go see the British Museum which is quite impressive (and free! :) ), the tower of London is a neat fort/castle that has the crown jewels and what not which is nice to see but can be a bit expensive. In Paris I highly recommend that you visit the Louvre' probably one of the finest museums in the world. I'm not big on paintings so much but that have some of the most amazing sculptures and masterpieces from all over the world. Also if you are into war go to the Hotel Des Invalides (where Napoleon resides) in addition to seeing the little guy's tomb there are 3 very fine museums there dedicated to three different eras: Napoleonic Wars, World War 1 and World War 2. Eiffel Tower is the tourist thing to do in Paris and quite fun...The Arc De Triumph is quite a let down though, its not quite as impressive as I had expected. Also suggest that you just pass on Notre Dame as its a "So-so" experience.

There are lots and lots to see there. I strongly recommend the Louvre... regardless if you like art or not.

Okay,I think I am going only to Normandie in France. It's sort of a schelduling thing. I'll go to the Lourve if I can make it. But, In England I'll make my piligramige to the RAF and Duxford. And of course the British Meuseum. I'll also see if I can make it to Portsmouth, I really want to go on the Victory.

I personally find the Museé D'Orsay to be a lot cooler than the Louvre, which is crowded with ignorants who do the most idiotic things. The displays are amazing, but the public is depressing. In London: you should check Camdentown on a market day, and obviously the British museum.

If you go to Paris, they have an AWESOME Moroccan restaurant called "La Baraka" (sp?). My dad found it while working as an airline pilot when he use to fly to Paris regularly. Our family eats there every time any of us visits Paris. The family that owns it are VERY nice (and VERY VERY talented at cooking Moroccan food) and we've become good friends. My sister even lived with them for a summer and visited Morocco with them for a few weeks. Their son visited the US and stayed with my family as well. If you'd like, you can let me know through PM or email if you (or anyone else here visiting Paris) are interested in going to La Baraka and I can get the address and phone # as well as see about getting you an extra friendly welcome. Another good food you can get in Paris are the chocolate crepes you can get from street vendors (we always got them in the morning, but I'm not sure if they're served all day).

As far as fun things to do.. Well, it's probably not fun for us adults on here, but it was REALLY fun when my brother and I visited Paris at ages 8 and 10. If you chew one end of a McDonald's straw, you can blow in it to make a whistle like sound. Ironically, this sound was almost exactly the same as the chime the subway makes when the doors are closing. Without realizing it, my brother and I were blowing into the straws to make the sound when we saw the crowds of people cram and push each other in a frantic attempt to get on the train before the doors closed. We did it at the next few stops and the results were the same. Fortunately the people had a good sense of humor about it after they realized the doors weren't shutting when they heard the chime and saw 2 kids blowing straws to make the sound.

Starkey said:
There are lots and lots to see there. I strongly recommend the Louvre... regardless if you like art or not.

But you have to give yourself about a week to take it all in.

McGruff said:
But you have to give yourself about a week to take it all in.

I wouldn't say a week, but 2 or 3 days are highly recommended.

BTW, I'll be visiting New York from june 6th to 16th, any tips, hints, recommendations...?

As Natural History museums go, the American Museum of Natural History in New York is pretty great. It's the one with the big fake whale hanging on the ceiling that shows up on TV shows and whatnot. Also, I think it's where Lara Bow solved the mystery of the Dagger of Amon Ra.

There's the USS Intrepid museum, which is always good for Wing Commander fans. There's an aircraft carrier and a submarine to tour, and they've got a mess of airplanes from various eras.

Also, there's a Pokemon Center, in case you need some Pokemon.

Ten days is a long time to be in New York! If you get a chance you should come down to DC (it's a few hours by bus) -- we've got all kinds of neat tourist sites... and at least two Air and Space museums. Plus, there's all kinds of famous people like President Bush and I.

Loaf, you are in DC? cool, we should have lunch. Pres. Bush will have to wait.

I'm not sure if I'll see DC (Very probable), but I'll ask the missus :)

I'm actually going to NY to meet my israeli-brazillian-italian-american nephew Felipe, whom I've never seen :( he's about 6 months now, so I'll probably help my sister by babysitting him a bit.

Anyways, the Intrepid and the natural history museum sounds great, thanks :)

Back