Where to get WCU files

I don't know why, but when I try to download WCU, it gives me one of those Cannot connect to server pages.

No one checks these forums anymore (I'm just here by freak chance) probably the only place you might find an answer is on the VS forums.

Odds are good that no one is going to help you out with regards to WCU. It's....a long and annoying story the history between 'them' and the WCNews side of the house. Essentially, it boils down to this: WCU wound up being a 'hey, look at our shiney new mod that has nothing to do with Wing Commanders spirit and everything to do with you praising us for destroying it!'. Or, at least thats my stance on it.

Brad

Odds are good that no one is going to help you out with regards to WCU. It's....a long and annoying story the history between 'them' and the WCNews side of the house. Essentially, it boils down to this: WCU wound up being a 'hey, look at our shiney new mod that has nothing to do with Wing Commanders spirit and everything to do with you praising us for destroying it!'. Or, at least thats my stance on it.

While the initial concept of Privateer on a large scale throughout the entire known WC map may have seemed like an interesting idea, I've been around long enough to have seen most of what went down here. While it's easy to try and point fingers and say it's all vindictivness, that would be a gross simplification. And I don't see why you brought it up here at all.

A battle of ideologies perhaps? Various key figures of the project mishandling prime public relations issues? And then project members coming back to troll the CIC or attempt other hostile activities are what burned all the bridges afterwards.

If the dude wants help with and of the Vega Strike based projects, you should have just pointed him towards the Vega Strike forums.

eh, that's the last thing I personally would do. I've found that folks who go over pick up some funny ideas. But, consider it dropped. Wasn't necessarily pointing fingers or anything like that, just...eh.

Do I understand it correctly that vegastrike team and everyone here's at cold war?
And that privateer remake based on vegastrike is ill-made?

No. There's a very fine Vega Strike mod called Gemini Gold which is working very hard to create a replica of the original Privateer. It's a great project and we love it - to the point of giving them most of their new high res graphics.

There's a significantly lamer project calld the Privateer Remake which was a real bust in terms of game design. I don't think its still updated, since it didn't get Hellcat and MomaOntario industry jobs. The premise there was they could spackle the Vega Strike game with Privtaeer graphigs, release it quick and hype it as being somehow better than the original.

Wing Commander Universe is a "third" project. A bunch of their former developers acted like jackasses here years ago, but we forgive that stuff pretty readily. The biggest problem is that the 'game' just doesn't work - it's a bunch of kids sitting around saying 'I'll have that in my Cantina too' without the knowledge or ability to create a working game. At the end of the day you end up with the standard (non-Gold) Privateer Remake with some half-assed graphics and extra data dropped in. Don't be fooled by the descriptions - they *want* to have a massive working WC universe you can explore and so forth and so on.... but the nature of 'open source' game development means that's pretty far away.

Gemini Gold is an excellent (and playable) game... WCU *could* be someday, but right now it's just an idea and some poorly constructed 3D models.

One more stupid question.
Do vegastrike based games always load so slowly?
Or did I do something wrong?

I have Celeron-1800 now, and it loads the weapons list while at ship dealer for roughly a 30 seconds....

One more stupid question.
Do vegastrike based games always load so slowly?
Or did I do something wrong?

I have Celeron-1800 now, and it loads the weapons list while at ship dealer for roughly a 30 seconds....

I've tried one or two, yeah they load slowly, one of thier many flaws.

Back