When real life imitates Wing Commander

Originally posted by Wedge009
I still say there's better uses for those resources here. Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of space travel (I read all about it and astronomy in general as a kid), but there are more important things to look after on terra firma.

That argument has been used a lot. You know, it is unlikely that we would have invented modern micro-electronics anywhere near as soon as we did if it weren't for the space program. No micro-electronics means no personal computers, no cell phones, no hundreds of millions of people surfing the Internet.

Miniaturization of electronics, especially automated computers that could operate without being nursed by a human operator every second of the day, were originally created for use in spacecraft. I seriously think that if there had never been a space program, then desktop computers would still be a thing of the future.

Anyway, my point is that we get more benefits out of having a space program than just the "going where no man has gone before". Thanks to the space program, we now have personal computers, global communications, more accurate weather forecasting, Global Positioning, etc., as well as technologies such as fuel cells, which may one day replace combustion engines in vehicles once they can sell them cheaply enough.

there are more important things to look after on terra firma.

Like what? Taking care of people too lazy to take care of themselves? PULEEEZE!!!!

I still say there's better uses for those resources here. Don't get me wrong, I love the thought of space travel (I read all about it and astronomy in general as a kid), but there are more important things to look after on terra firma.

Historically speaking, mankind must expand it's horizons. Man has always pushed boundaries, and it is when we stop pushing those limits that we stagnate. Whether that means expanding upwards or maybe down into the ocean has yet to be determined but rest assured Mankind will continue to reach beyond where it is now. Status quo is the greatest enemy of the human race. NASA may be behind where we think they should be, but they are progressing. And so is the ESA and the Chinese, and everyone else. And as for resources there are untapped resources in space that are begging for us to come and get them. Undiluted solar power, minerals, etc. Onward and Upward!

Actually, I'm thinking of people who can't help themselves at all. We look outwards with ambition and forget to look at each other and see that there are so many less fortunate. So PUH-LEESE yourself. :(

People who can't help themselves at all. Seems if no one was taking care of them, they'd all be DEAD.:rolleyes:

It took you a week to come up with that?:confused:

OOps! Sorry! RETRACTION! I been slow too...:(

Ripper realises the torpedo is heading at the wrong target and presses the destruct button.....

"The chief engineer reports launch bay repaired and fully functional."

EXCELLENT!:D

Actually, it was to report that the launch bay was repaired ahead of schedule.;)

The last time you did this, we got kicked over to the off- topic zone.........

I don't remember the thread, but you and LeHah were beating up on me and the thread got kicked over. Or was it you and Preacher? Maybe it was LeHah and Preacher.......:confused:

Well, I'm sure you were liking it anyway!:D

LeHah is one word, big guy.

And I have no clue what you're talking about, but I've never teamed with Preacher. Ever.

(No offense, Preacher)

Nit pick, nit pick.

O.K., does anyone remember someone using the term "*schmack*"?

Back