When real life imitates Wing Commander

Originally posted by junior
1. They wanted an easy way to get to heaven, and God punished their arrogance.
I'm not sure it was necessarily a desire to reach heaven so much as they wanted to run their lives without God. [And building a tower which reached the 'heavens' (ie skyscrapers) was one way to make their name.]

2. They were all clustering together, while God wanted them to fill the Earth.
IIRC, it was only the people who didn't want to be scattered, not God wanting them to scatter (although people were supposed to grow and be "fruitful").

3. They were looking for a way to avoid God's punishment, should he decide to send another flood. In their arrogance, they believed that a tower would allow them to get above the water, and sit it out.
Never heard of that one before, especially since rainbows are to be a reminder that the Earth would never be destroyed by flood again.

Anyway, I did not intend for this to become a 'theological' discussion, but someone brought up the Tower of Babel for some reason, so I felt compelled to respond.

Originally posted by Quarto
No he's not. He just overreacted to some people joking.
Overreacted? Okay. Didn't sound like joking to me. :( [You know how good I am at detecting 'jokes' and sarcasm, Q. Or how good I'm not. I'm just seldom at the centre of attention, so I feel uncomfortable if I'm mentioned a lot for no apparent reason. Especially in a seemingly negative way.]

Oh, and Riot, since when do threads on the CIC CZ focus on WC? ;)

Originally posted by Wedge009
Overreacted? Okay. Didn't sound like joking to me. :( [You know how good I am at detecting 'jokes' and sarcasm, Q. Or how good I'm not. I'm just seldom at the centre of attention, so I feel uncomfortable if I'm mentioned a lot for no apparent reason. Especially in a seemingly negative way.]

You didn´t saw Enterprise, right?

Enterprise? As in Star Trek? I've seen very little of Star Trek. Only saw a bit of one with Malcolm McDowell in it.

The new series, with Scott Bakula, *Faith of the Heart* is the main theme. and the other quotes come from that theme.

Originally posted by TopGun
I think that would be cool. I mean your body would be preversed in the vacum of space

I could look at your comments two ways:

1. Face value. Assuming your body doesn't immediately get frozen by the near ABS zero temps, the lack of pressure might cause your remains to blow up real good. Definitely a perverse way to dispose of your remains. Ick. May as well stuff your body cavity with explosives and have FOX TV's idea of a Viking funeral.

2. Typo? Preserved? The Cold of space *might* preserve your body, but if it did, ick, think about future generations. You're essentially turning space into a universal garbage dump. JL Picard and crew zip along but have to keep stopping because corpsicles keep hitting the hull. A bit of a navigational hazard --though I'd imagine less of one than all those big heavy metal slabs that the WC guys toss off ship in lieu of pilots' bodies.

No wonder everybody has energy shields on their ships in the future.

How's that for off topic...

Originally posted by Wedge009

Oh, and Riot, since when do threads on the CIC CZ focus on WC? ;)

Hehe, I know I know. They hardly do, but this time seemed way off. I was just trying to get people to stop attacking you. Didn't work apparently, hehe.

'tis okay, it wasn't really 'attacking' anyway.

As for space burials, I'm not sure if a dead body would have that much internal pressure for it to explode anyway. Guess it depends on how long the person has been dead for.

And as for space garbage, well, Earth's atmosphere is certainly getting crowded with satellites, both functional and otherwise, but deeper out in space - do you know how empty space really is? There's not much chance of corpses clustering together - even if they did, they'd just splatter all over a colliding ship. Mmm, bet that would be a good look next time it docks at a space port.

the chance of meeting alien races of level or higher intelligence than us is neglectible, therefore is the chance of interstellar conflict.

Originally posted by dacis2
the chance of meeting alien races of level or higher intelligence than us is neglectible, therefore is the chance of interstellar conflict.

You can never tell though

Than of higher intelligence than us... have you looked around lately? I'd say the traces of protien strains found in the atmosphere of Jupiter have more intelligence than most humans I know. Then again, thats probably why we haven't met any yet...
and the chances, however slim, do exist. That is, unless you fall into that whole "god" worshiper category... not that I dislike them. A lot of good people were religious.
BTW... Why not space executions? Nothing to clean up, and they can just strap the guy to the next outgoing shuttle... the only real change would be the guy strapped to the tailfin screaming his lungs out... literally.

Originally posted by dacis2

Who said it had to be aliens? whererever there are two or more HUMANS, yer likely to find conflict; thus, interstellar war IS possible (assuming we colonize 2 or more worlds among the other solar systems out there).

I think it'd be a bit arrogant to say that this planet supports the only intelligent life in the universe, we know of only a tiny fraction of the universe and have explored even less, so I would say it is that is almost definate that there is intelligent life somewhere in the universe, but it'll be a long time before we have the capabilities to reach them.

Originally posted by Preacher
Who said it had to be aliens? whererever there are two or more HUMANS, yer likely to find conflict; thus, interstellar war IS possible (assuming we colonize 2 or more worlds among the other solar systems out there).

Like in Starlancer?

Back