When did Blair meet Marshall?

Joshua

Spaceman
When did Blair meet Marshall for the first time?

I remember in the Academy series, Blair & Marshall were cadets and had attended the Academy together. However, in WCI for the SNES, Blair (I think that's the character the player plays) meets Marshall on the Tiger's Claw for the first time. So my question is, when does Blair meet Marshall for the first time? Or is the character in WCI that the player plays not Blair?

I believe it was explained as just a game introduction, since IIRC it even says in the WC1 manual they've met prior to the Claw.

EDIT: Just glanced through the manual, was wrong. I just remember someone saying there was a reference somewhere to them knowing each other prior, aside from the cartoon.

The guy on WC1 is Blair. The various sources (Movie, WCA, WC1) conflict if taken literaly. Maybe Maniac was being sarcastic on WC1. Hey, it doesn't have to be funny - he's maniac.

The popular theory (for those who demand that WCA and WCM are canon) is that Blair and Marshall were friends in the Academy, and were transferred to Tiger's Claw together before the beginning of WC1. The WCM occurred, in which, if you'll notice, only a few pilots actually interact with Blair (Hunter, Paladin, and Angel). Everyone else, then, after the events of WCM, were introducing themselves to Blair. Then, they speculate that Maniac, being his usual silly self, decided that, since everyone else was making first time introductions, he should, too, as a sarcastic joke. Anyone in the movie who had any real interraction with Blair (ones where they weren't threatening to kill him) don't introduce themselves in the game . . . except . . .

Angel does make a brief introduction, but, if you can swallow the fact that she decided to introduce herself again after having had Blair's tounge down her throat a few days before, it sorta works out.

Then, apparently, WCA wasn't actually flight school, but some sort of command school that takes place during the WC1/so/so2 era at some point.

Maniac and Blair met on the first day of the Academy - it's from the 1991 Wing Commander 1/2 official guide.

Then, apparently, WCA wasn't actually flight school, but some sort of command school that takes place during the WC1/so/so2 era at some point.

The first episode *was* at flight school... but flight school isn't the same thing as the academy. You graduate the academy, and then you go to flight school.

There are *minor* problems. When we played WC2, it looked as if Blair and Angel would finally fall in love... Little did we knew of their affair prior to the game!

I think we can all agree the WC Universe ain't perfect. I'm starting to become of the mind that a lot of the stuff in the Movie didn't actually "happen," (i.e. Gerald and Sansky didn't know Paladin was in the military... come on, Blair and Angel's little "romance," and the whole Bossman thing is as confusing as hell!). I like the background info in the Confed Handbook, though. That's some good stuff, if you ignore the fact that they have the wrong dates for the Kilrathi War.

But, I apologzie. I've been on these boards a long time, and if you know me, I love WC, and will certainly take the good with the bad. Anyone else who starts to debate canon vs. noncanon will certainly suffer some misfortune in the near future.

Here's my view on the whole thing, and surely I'm way off (as I tend to be): Blair goes to the Academy and meets Maniac. He serves aboard the Formidable as a midshipman, then graduates and goes to Flight School. He is sent to the Tiger's Claw under the tutelage of Commodore Tolwyn, graduates Flight School, and returns to the Tiger's Claw and successfully delivers the Pegasus NAVCOM coordinates to the Earth defense fleet. And then WC1 starts, followed by Secret Missions 1 and 2. Pilgrim Stars/Pilgrim Truth are in there somewhere, I'm just not sure where.

I would have to say...

* Goes to the Academy/meets Maniac.
* Serves onboard the Formidable.
* Graduates the Academy.
* Serves onboard the Gilgamesh.
* Goes to Flight School.
* Finishes Flight School (WCATV - "Red and Blue")
* Transferred to Tiger's Claw (Movie - "Wing Commander")
* Novel - Pilgrim Stars
* WC1 - Enyo Series
* WCATV - "The Last One Left"
* Novel - Pilgrim Truth (?)
* WC1 - McAuliffe through Venice
* WCATV - The Most Delicate Instrument through Glory of Sivar
* Secret Missions 1
* Secret Missions 1.5 & Secret Missions 2
* Attack on K'Tithrak Mang

Well, There are 4 sources I know of for Blair and Maniac being at the Academy together.

1- Apparently the Confed Handbook says they were classmates (haven't read it)
2- WCATV
3- The WC3N "As classmates in the Academy, they had been rivals in everything from the flight competitions . . ."
4- The Prophecy ICIS manual ". . . but our own Major Todd Marshall , who's served with Blair off and on sincethey were in the Academy together . . ."

So, take the WC1 "introduction" how you will.

C-ya

There's also the WC1/2 Guide... and the Kilrathi Saga manual... and the WCIV novel... and the movie, movie novel and Pilgrim Stars...

I also noticed something . . . might make the whole "bossman's multiple deaths" different.

In WCM, when you look at the name stenciled on the fighter, it's "Charles 'Bossman' Chen". Doesn't Bossman from WC1 etc etc have a different first name?

Interesting information.

It could be that Charles' younger brother, Kien, followed in his brother's footsteps and got himself assigned to the Claw.

Possible? Sure. Likely? Better than most theories I've heard.

People, please, turn around and do not go down that road, for the sake of us all. Can't we just look at the Movie for what it was: a movie. Why must we come up with goofy little stories that make no sense to answer for passing little references in the flick? Bossman didn't die until Secret Missions 2, we all know that, and he had no brothers on the Tiger's Claw, particularly no older ones, since Kien was already 39 in 2654 anyway (Paladin was an old-timer at 45, remember!). And, if you read the Confed Handbook, Bossman is called Vince Chen. Surely, you're not going to suggest that he had another brother with the same callsign on the Claw, too?

Great, this just might turn into the kind of thread I was hoping it wouldn't... Unfortunately, I don't decide these things.

The Bossman stuff is probably the movie complaint that bugs me out (that any of you people have actually figured out, anyway). I think the easiest thing to do just say that we don't know what happened - Bossman was recovered somehow between the movie and the original Wing Commander. I'm sure pilots in World War II were shot down and presumed dead all the time...

Great, this just might turn into the kind of thread I was hoping it wouldn't... Unfortunately, I don't decide these things.

Threads are what you make them - unless your unspoken "hope" for the thread is that it degrades even further, perhaps "wah, people are taking the movie too seriously!" isn't the best response.

I'm not really sure what your problem is - I'm not trying to offend you... I'm just saying that if you have some sort of 'hope' (which is what you said) for what this thread should be, then you should let the rest of us know what it is.

The Movie does not settle in with the story

Hey ppl, I'm kinda new here.

I just wanted to say that the movie does not fit in with the games. First off, all the fighters and the Tiger's Claw are different, Now you could ignore this (call it artistic liberty if you will, allthough the fighters in the movie suck) but the Maniac/Blair relationship just is not right! The're best buddies here! How is this possible?

Also Tolwyn/Blair. They are not exactly enemies too in the movie, now are they?

I think the best argument must be the Skipper however. Skippers were first used in WC3, long after Blair's enlistment. There is no way they could be used in the WC1 timeframe.

Face it: the movie screws up the story bigtime. I don't say it was not entertaining, but it is far behind the games on any field (especially those dumb Kilrathi dolls in the movie).
So it is not so strange that the movie can't be fit into the storyline. I'd disregard it concerning Blair and Maniac.

Grundius said:
the Maniac/Blair relationship just is not right! The're best buddies here! How is this possible?

Have you ever, like, played WC4? Their relationship on WC4 is totally different from WC3. But that's not that strange, since relationships change with time.

Grundius said:
Also Tolwyn/Blair. They are not exactly enemies too in the movie, now are they?

Well, they bounce heads from time to time, but by that time they have a decent relationship. On WCA, Tolwyn is even teaching Blair about command. By the end of WCA, however, the problems begin.

Back