What's the deal with the demo.

Danaus

Spaceman
I saw 2 sections.
1. A skirmish (that lasted under a minute, my first time trying).
2. A game of asteroids. (that lasted 4 minutes)

Am I missing something? Did anybody like this Demo?

I see that Loaf wasn't impressed with this Demo, either:
"The Demo. EA screwed this one up bad - or maybe Microsoft did. I'm told it's a requirement that demos can't have multiplayer... which means that Arena's demo is basically *nothing*. The single player mode is fun, but it's pretty sad in context. Heck, "Meteor Storm" is more a clever parody than it is a reason to buy a game. The idea that you can play an incredibly complex capital ship battle *or* use the same setting to play 'Asteroids' is a wonderful joke, but you wouldn't pick up the latter and believe the former could exist, though."--Loaf

Demo is all I have played so far (360 is STILL away for repairs).

I had all of 10mins on it as I was at a friends before heading out to lunch, and I got tired of it, I enjoyed the skirmish, that was actually not bad, and I've bought XBLA titles on less merit, but Asteroids? It was a mistake to include that. Just the skirmish on its own could have been a nice little teaser. If you pick asteroids last, then that is what is in your mind when you decide to purchase or not.

Well, yeah, the demo has two brief looks at two single player modes. The game itself has four single player modes total, but it's really geared towards multiplayer. It sounds like it's pretty hard to properly demo a multiplayer-centric game for Live Arcade. I can see a segment of the public audience being turned off by the demo, but I wouldn't expect any of our own XBox-owning members to stick with just that. It's only $10, there's a lot more to the full game than the demo, and there's lots of us here you can set up games with.

I haven't tried the demo but i think Arena is a very fun multiplayer game. I enjoy both the free for all matches and the team games. To me it is incredibly balanced in terms of online gameplay and its easy for new players to jump in and get some kills. I know I was worried about it when i first started playing online, but I didn't have too many problems figuring things out and blasting other players. I enjoy an online game like Arena more than a Halo 2, you don't have people in Arena camping by the spawn point and destroying you right after you appear every time you die.

I'm really hoping that an expansion is released for it, containing a few more maps or ships.

IMHO, they should have included something like single-player capship with bots rather than Meteor Storm.

Any news of how well Arena has sold yet?
I was wondering about that for some time now... For my part, I purchased WCA and both theme packs (where are the gamer pics, EA? ;) ) to support Arena. Maybe it helps... I'd like to see an expansion - then again, who of us wouldn't?

And while we're at it: I'm playing Blazing Angels at the moment. As far as I'm concerned, it's a great game. That's, give and take a few details, how I could imagine a new WC title could look like... :D

"Demo is all I have played so far (360 is STILL away for repairs)."
--. Mine broke the day before the game was released... so I just got my 360 back, and thought I would try out the demo. I was thinking I was the only one here who hadn't tried the demo or bought the game yet.

ps. They give you a free month of Xbox Live Gold, when you get it back (I didn't get one of these 6 months ago on my first 360). Note: They sent me an older 360 then the one they replaced.

"IMHO, they should have included something like single-player capship with bots rather than Meteor Storm."
--. The free videos you can download show "how not to destroy a satellite", and "how to destroy a satellite". They look like fun... why couldn't they include this in the demo?

--. The free videos you can download show "how not to destroy a satellite", and "how to destroy a satellite". They look like fun... why couldn't they include this in the demo?

Satelites is a Multiplayer mode. Its a wing commander take on the multiplayer "capture the flag" staple. Supposedly, you cannot have multiplayer in live arcade demos... which seems like a stupid conceit though I guess most arcade titles are so simple that a multiplayer demo would amount to giving your game away.

Whats the deal with the demo

only if growth plates have not fused. Part of the possible sides of growth is bones growing in diameter, like your jaw

Back