whats that cent?

BradMick

Vice Admiral
and here's the progress so far on the Centurion. Movin right along, very easy pit to manage.

Brad Mick

cent_01.jpg

cent_02.jpg

hmm, if you can, make the mesh closed, and do a contiguous map for the textures, so that there are no allignment issues.

-scheherazade

map fancy areas in a method akin to mapping an organic character. i.e. one big mesh that's stretched out over some area.

-scheherazade

yeah. thats UV mapping. i haven't gotten there yet. gotta finish the model. been really busy with class projects of late.

and...you can't do that. organic characters can be mapped flat like that because it is a contiguous mesh, and it works out that it can be flattened. on a mechanical object, particularly a game object that's composed of hundreds of seperate meshes....not do-able.

i did it for jet fighter models.

it makes alligning edges way easier :)

i.e. a box would be 6 squares all connected at their seams, rather than 6 squares scattered about the place.

curved surfaces, like blisters, would just be stretched out into the surface they are located at, blending in seamlessly.

that sorta stuff.

basically, things like the computer monitors, and the chairs, in the tarsus pit, could have unwrapped into a single mapping-chunk. both making the parts easier to find, and the seams nicer.

-scheherazade

the only problem with that is it takes about 20 times longer, and LW is a pain for doing that. for areas where a single color is applied, lumping said sections together works the best. while mainting that areas where specific details go are wrapped that way. it all depends on the surface. if all the surfaces on this thing weren't as complex as they are, sure. it'd be easy. however, there are to many angles and such. it's not a joy, and takes forever and a day to unwrap already. if someone else wants to unwrap, by all means. it's a pain in the ass :(

Brad Mick

thanks for the comments guys. i dunno when i'll get back to modeling. I'm building a physical model of one of my original designs right now, and it'll probably take me forever and a day to finish. when it's done i'll take some shots and upload em for you all to see :) doing a whole...cutaway type deal. should be pretty nifty cool.

And like a raccoon, something shiny catches his eye and he's off, leaving us with 2 high quality 3d cockpits (untextured) and 2 old school cockpits, which all go so well together :D

Not to knock you Brad, you did a great job. The centurion cockpit looks like something I could really feel at home in, it's much appreciated. But Doro, this is why I told you to continue with yours ;)

lol..should probably have added that the physical model is for a college class. i have to get it done. or else i run the risk of failing the course. for a guy trying to get suma honors with a nice 3.8-3.9 GPA...that's a bad thing.

don't worry, i'm not ditchin you guys. real life is just in the way at the present time.

Brad Mick

oh....and the centurion isn't done yet. i've just been swamped with projects and rediculously tired. sorry it takes so long :(

Brad Mick

that's cool.

i can unwrap the centurion if you dont wanna deal with that step. i'm pretty quick with contiguous unwraps. plus max has some stuff that helps with that.

-scheherazade

sweet! that would be excellent man. LW is great for modeling, it kicks massive ass in that arena, but UV work is horrificly annoying.

Back