What's Bradshaw's call sign?

iamtheman83

Spaceman
Just out of curiosity; what is Bradshaw’s actual call sign? This might sound dorky, but I prefer to plug in the character’s true call signs when I play these games instead of the ones I try to make up. I’m deciding upon ‘Zeus,’ ‘Raven’ and ‘Painless’ (after the character from the movie, M*A*S*H).

Is the storyline a fan fiction or is it adapted from a novel? I’m wondering because I’ve not read these books, so I wouldn’t know. All I know is that it takes place around the events of a WC book called, ‘Fleet Action’ or something.

Also, does anybody know what Lance Casey’s call sign is? In the game they simply call him Casey, and I think having the same call sign and surname is just dumb – Lance “Casey” Casey. Although, once, Dallas called him ‘Frosty’ which I think suits him seeing he’s the son of the ‘Ice-man’ after all.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bradshaw doesn't have an actual callsign. I prefer to leave such things undefined - if we don't need to fill in such information, then it's best to leave it blank. This is true for just about any unnecessary information, but especially true in the case of callsigns, which tend to be fairly personal things (since, unlike proper names - which you don't choose for yourself even in real life - callsigns are something you come up with).

The storyline is fan fiction. The whole thing shows the events described in Fleet Action, but neither the Firekka nor any of the people aboard the Firekka show up in the book. It's basically a companion story, which retells Fleet Action from a different, narrower perspective. However, since Standoff allows the player to influence the events, it's really pretty hard to get through the game in such a way that the story would match up with Fleet Action.

As for Casey, Origin never provided a callsign for him, either - all we know is that Dallas called him Frosty once or twice. I think we can be pretty sure his callsign isn't Casey, though - presumably, the reason people call him Casey is a) to avoid referring to him by his personal callsign or by the obnoxious "Alpha One" mission callsign, and b) to avoid calling him Lance, which apparently some people think is a silly name (of course, it's hard to think of a name that isn't considered silly by someone).

Also, does anybody know what Lance Casey’s call sign is? In the game they simply call him Casey, and I think having the same call sign and surname is just dumb – Lance “Casey” Casey. Although, once, Dallas called him ‘Frosty’ which I think suits him seeing he’s the son of the ‘Ice-man’ after all.
Any help would be appreciated.

Well, he doesn't relay have an official one. I've always called him Iceman, because I can imagine him being railroaded into it by his family and his peers. It would also show just how much he is in his fathers shadow, which he is trying to break out of. But that's just me, I think that Frosty would also be good, because Dallas calls him that and you could pretend that its official.

Personally I was never too comfortable with the Main Character always being referred to by their last name rather than callsign. In WC 1 and 2 you would almost always be referred to by your callsign, but then when they decided to do live action in WC 3 they decided to use the last name (Blair) instead of his callsign (Maverick). I know this was so people could preserve the callsigns that they had been using when all dialog was text, but it just seems weird (from a plot perspective) that everyone else would be referred to by their callsigns, but Blair. Also, if I don't get to here people say the callsign in the game its almost non-existent and less special. In WC 3+4+P the callsign of Blair and Casey only realy exists on the Killboard. (Although when Blair is flying in the last Prophecy mission he is identified on the HUD as Maverick when he's speaking)

Personally I was never too comfortable with the Main Character always being referred to by their last name rather than callsign. In WC 1 and 2 you would almost always be referred to by your callsign, but then when they decided to do live action in WC 3 they decided to use the last name (Blair) instead of his callsign (Maverick). I know this was so people could preserve the callsigns that they had been using when all dialog was text, but it just seems weird (from a plot perspective) that everyone else would be referred to by their callsigns, but Blair.

I never really found it jarring. Unlike WC1/2, Blair was actually the ship's Wing Commander. You have people calling him 'Colonel Blair' so often that it seemed mainly like a rank/respect thing.

I never really found it jarring. Unlike WC1/2, Blair was actually the ship's Wing Commander. You have people calling him 'Colonel Blair' so often that it seemed mainly like a rank/respect thing.

True, but in WC2 Col. Devereaux was referred to as "Angel" plenty of times. And in WCP Lance Casey is a 2nd Lieutenant, and definitely not the Wing Commander.

Just out of curiosity; what is Bradshaw’s actual call sign? This might sound dorky, but I prefer to plug in the character’s true call signs when I play these games instead of the ones I try to make up.
I don't recall ever having assigned Bradshaw a callsign, not even in the first drafts of the storyline. If I *had* to give him a callsign right now, I'd be completely out of ideas. :p

Why? What's the connection? :p

See, that's the trouble with callsigns. There's a reason why every one of us uses a different callsign, and something you consider a good callsign for Bradshaw won't make sense to other people.

In any case, even if somebody was to come up with the perfectest callsign for Bradshaw, we still wouldn't use it as an official callsign for him - we just don't see the point of restricting people that way.

Why? What's the connection? :p

See, that's the trouble with callsigns. There's a reason why every one of us uses a different callsign, and something you consider a good callsign for Bradshaw won't make sense to other people.

In any case, even if somebody was to come up with the perfectest callsign for Bradshaw, we still wouldn't use it as an official callsign for him - we just don't see the point of restricting people that way.

I agree. I found it difficult enough that WC3 necessitated naming the protagonist "Christopher Blair." I suppose it was part and parcel of using live action and voice, but still - after playing WC1 and WC2 with my own callsign, and even the ability to define the protagonist's first and last names, I felt a not-entirely minor disconnect when the protagonist was no longer "my" alter-ego, if that makes any sense.

hey guys im pretty sure Bradshaw doent have a callsign but i DO know Lance DOES
and it is "Frosty" i know this from a story that was online a while back
wish i could find it again
it was story combining Wing Commander and Star Wars together the timeline was shortly before Prophecy

i know this because at the very end of the story has the intro part of Casey and Garrett flyin to Midway

if anyone knows the story and knows where to find it again call me via email at
g_schempp@hotmail.com

Casey doesn't have a canonical callsign,"Frosty" is something the author of that fanfic decided all by his lonesome.

maybe but ull find that other sources that r out there agree with the name everyone here as seemed to find at least a rumor or something that all says the same thing Lance's Callsign is "Frosty" so im not gonna argue with the intel

besides it rolls of the tongue nicely

maybe but ull find that other sources that r out there agree with the name everyone here as seemed to find at least a rumor or something that all says the same thing Lance's Callsign is "Frosty" so im not gonna argue with the intel

besides it rolls of the tongue nicely

Its a nice callsign for him and I can see why someone would use it, but Its still not canon.

IIRC Dallas dose calls Casey "Frosty" in Prophecy, but he was just joking around; that's probably the source of the rumors. If EA (or whoever gets control of the WC IP) ever dose give him an official callsign all those fan-fics and rumormills will have corrections to make.

maybe but as i said before all known intel shows that Frosty is the name

and besides it fits the sound and the name of his father Michel "Iceman" Casey
Iceman and Frosty kinda coinside with eachother dont ya think?

ok but as i said before all known intel shows that Frosty is the name

and besides it fits the sound and the name of his father Michel "Iceman" Casey
Iceman and Frosty kinda coinside with eachother dont ya think?

What "intel" are you citing? Fanfics don't count, since its just conjecture by fans.

I said it was a good callsign (and yes, I get the connection with his father; just like everyone else: on this board or over 6 years of age), but that doesn't make it his official callsign. Blair was also called "Traitor" by admiral Tolwyn, and we all know that was not his callsign.

That's right - Dallas does get called "Frosty" by Dallas. But does that mean his callsign is Frosty? Not at all - Blair's callsign in WC4 wasn't Earthworm, either :p.

If you think about it, Frosty wouldn't make sense for the exact reason people are arguing it makes sense. Yes, it creates a link between Casey and his father - but Casey explicitly says in Prophecy that he's trying to get away from his father. He doesn't want people to talk about how he's the Iceman's kid and all that - so why would he choose a callsign that reminds everyone who he is?

Back