What would you want to find in a fighter?

dacis2

Rear Admiral
Me?
750kps max 3500 afterburner
360deg/s y/p/r
20 normal missile hardpoints
12 heavy missile/torpedo hardpoints
2 tachyon
2 meson
2 ion
2 plasma
2 photon

500 cm armour all sides
500 cm shields fore and aft

additional space for 1 booster or 1 temblor bomb

hmm anything else?

oh yes, FTL drive:cool:

Your stats are for a corvette, not a fighter. You have too many guns. Fighters don't have the power to run that many. Your turning data is too much. Nothing that's larger than an turn a full circle in a second.

Wouldn't that mean the moment you touched the stick, you'd do a 360 on your axis? :eek:

Originally posted by LeHah
Wouldn't that mean the moment you touched the stick, you'd do a 360 on your axis? :eek:

If by 'the moment you touched' you mean 'when you pushed the stick to the extreme for exactly one second' then yes.

TC

Agreed, that's too much even for WC fiction. Super-duper ships capable of everything and nearly invulnerable are boring.

The anti-missile system intended to be implemented in the Panther and Vampire would be great, though.

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
Agreed, that's too much even for WC fiction. Super-duper ships capable of everything and nearly invulnerable are boring.

Not exactly...

*Everyone* knows that nigh invulnerable ships always have the fatal flaw: vulnerable to heroic characters.
That's why the hero never gets them. It helps keep things even.

:D

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
A ship that turned at 360 dps would be fairly impossible to control.

Not to mention what sort of g-forces you would pull at that sort of rotation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't G-forces only exist when you are actually being attracted by something? And in the void of space... ya normally ain't extracted by anything. The only thing ya need to worry about is inertia, right? And you've got inertial dampeners for that, so...
I could be mistaken. My Fysics cours hasn't gotten to space-dynamics jet.
But a ship with 360 dps would indeed be impossible to control.

BTW, don't you love it when in Star Trek they're like: "inertial dampeners are off-line", and the captain says: "take evasive action". hehe. Always wanted to see commander Chakotay's face get smacked into that big old viewscreen.:D
Sorry 'bout that little topic drift.

Well, I'm hardly a physics expert, but...

Rotational inertia does a fairly good job of simulating gravity (and is, in fact, part of what keeps us on the ground). Take, for example, the old amusement park ride that put people in a vertical spinning tube. Unless you stood in the exact center of the tube, you'd get pulled up against one side of the wall, and enough force would be generated that if you went up, you'd stay up (attached to the wall of the tube, of course) instead of going back down to the ground.

So your fighter jock might still have problems in a 360 dps fighter.

Originally posted by junior
Well, I'm hardly a physics expert, but...

Rotational inertia does a fairly good job of simulating gravity (and is, in fact, part of what keeps us on the ground).

Um excuse me but Its GRAVITY that keeps us on the ground. By your example the earth would be flinging us all off into space!

A centrifuge requires you to be on the inside to simulate gravity because... have you taken high school physics yet?... of the laws of circular motion. Yes it has to do with inertia that a centrifuge works to simulate gravity, but its because an object moving in a circle is actualy accelerating, in two dimensions. thus the force causing this acceleration is perpendicular to the plane of movement out from the center of the radius point. Thus you would be flung off if you were on the outside. It's acctualy the same priciple used to calculate the force needed to keep objects in orbit.

Sorry if this was confusing, but I do know my stuff, just a little rusty being out of school for awhile now. (graduated almost 5 years now) Unless your a scientist you dont use this stuff very often! :)

AD

Hmm.
I remember that gravity is based strictly on the masses of the two objects involved (I only said that rotation was part, not all of what kept us down), but I seem to recollect once hearing something about objects on the outside of a spinning cylinder or sphere sticking as well. I admit it doesn't sound common sensical, but its a vague memory at best.
Its been quite a while since my college physics course, so I'm not surprised I'm a little off on that.
At any rate, getting back to the original topic, the pilot would be on the inside of the wildly gyrating craft, so he'd still be in pretty poor shape if he tried to spin at 360 dps.

Back