What will be my Fan Project... YOU DECIDE!

I've said many times that I'd be for the first option, but I've also seen many such projects get started and never go anywhere.

It seems to me that #1 is the winner. Being that way why don’t you start to work on it so that we can see some progress in the time to come? Like that you would show everybody that you’re seriously committed. It’s just a suggestion. :)

Paragon said:
Actually, what I said was that it IS about being cynical, but you have a good reason...

Most people doesn't understand the work its needed to creat a fan project. Or how time consuming it can be.
They start with something they belive will be done in a week, or even a month. Sometimes they will seek help when they will see that it isn't so easy, and hardly will find anyone with time to help. Then they will drop the project due to their own lack of time and interest.
We already saw this happen over and over. One project I had suffered this same fate.
So if you are going to do something, I sugest you take the one YOU prefer most to hold your interest and keep it simple. That way you wont be overhelmed with too much to do for the project. And then, if you feel like it when finished, you can implement new goals.

Paragon said:
1. Create a short animated series - I know Flash and 3d Studio Max and I've already have some animation under my belt.
Is there, by any chance, something you have already done that you can show us?

Sorry about being silent the last couple of days but I have a very good reason.

I've been hammering out the storyline and concept art for the animated series!! It seemed like the most popular so I thought what the heck! I've also realized it's going to be the hardest and most time consuming. I'll be posting a new thread with story details and concept art in the next day or so. Keep your eyes peeled...

Hey, how's your animated series project going Corsair?

It's going alright, the same as usual... It takes me forever to get anything done on it since I went from freelance animator to full time. But it's still coming along nicely.

I've been hammering out the storyline and concept art for the animated series!! It seemed like the most popular so I thought what the heck! I've also realized it's going to be the hardest and most time consuming. I'll be posting a new thread with story details and concept art in the next day or so. Keep your eyes peeled...

Excelent! I can't wait to see something. Now hurry up and post it! :)

My best regards, Paragon, and sorry for seeing this a bit late to cast the ballot. Anyway, keep what you're doing, and come back to this place for encouragement, although or even in spite of the notion that many people around here seem to want to talk you down. Because they - we - don't really. It's more a matter of concern, to have witnessed a lot of potentially great stuff never to make it. So don't take compassion for cynicism, although, from a distance they might look similar.

And to add my tuppence, as they say in Europe: I do like audio dramas.

Corsair(pilot) said:
It's going alright, the same as usual... It takes me forever to get anything done on it since I went from freelance animator to full time. But it's still coming along nicely.

Excellent, can't wait to see something new.

Sorry for not posting anything yet... ::hangs head sheepishly::

I've run into a small problem. While working on ideas for the animated series, I keep coming up with ideas for the FPS and the Pen & Paper Wargame. So, I've decided to work on all three. You'll probably want to know where I'm going with this...

Pen & Paper Wargame - I'm actually halfway done with this project. In fact, this whole thread came about because I had hit a roadblock in the design (which I have overcome) and started questioning whether anyone would even play the damn thing...

First Person Shooter - I've come up with some great ideas for this one and I'm very excited. I know some of you were thinking, "Doom 2? Why such an outdated game?" There are three reasons for this... AVAILABILITY: Everyone either has or can purchase Doom 2 for under 10 dollars (I saw it at Walmart last night!)... ARTISTICALLY: The game I'm thinking of takes place in the Wing Commander I and II time frame and I thought a game that looked graphically similar to these games would be fitting... PRACTICALITY: I'm a designer and artist. I am not a programmer or modeller. I know how to modify Doom 2. In fact, I'm fairly confident that you wouldn't recognize that it is Doom 2 when I'm finished. More on that later...

Animated Series - As I sat down to start writing the plotline last week, it became extremely apparent that this is going to be alot bigger than I thought. This is mainly due to the story I'm developing. Here are highlights...

1. The story will take place 3 years before Wing Commander 2. It will follow 5 pilots fighting in the Enigma Campaign. The main story line (still a secret) will continue each episode. There will be no "filler" episodes. In fact, as of right now, the first several episodes take place over the course of about 12 hours.

2. As it stands, each episode will be about 6 minutes long and there will be 13 episodes in the "season". My current outline stands at about 3 seasons long...

I am realistic, though. It has taken me a week just to hack out the outline for the series and I plan on writing all 13 scripts before I even start animating. This is going to take me a while. Until I actually start production, you probably won't be hearing much about this for a while. I've decided to take on the other two projects as a diversion. When I start to burn out on writing episodes or animating, I'll work on these.

Paragon, you have my best wishes. Don't forget that it should be fun for you, and that every detail that you'll turn over to the crowd here will lead to discussion and probably criticism. So, taking a dive and resurfacing with a complete project is a pretty safe way.

Do whatever you want, man, but in the end you won't be able to actually drive three projects to release simultaniously. My advice would be to just concentrate on the one you think you'll have the most fun working on and focus on finishing it. I'd prefer to see one quality project actually finished than 3 promising projects never done.

I agree...working on three projects could become to much work. I don't know about the tabletop/pen&paper stuff. When its based on some other rulebook then it could be done quite fast.
If you are trying something from the ground up it..well different thing.
I have tried to create a tabletop myself but leak of time killed it mostly...still got some basic stuff somewhere.

Editing Doom2...well when you can rush out graphics quick enought replacing the graphics shouldn't be a problem but what about levelbuilding and story?
Just Doom2 with Kilarthis wouldn't be much fun.

An animated series would be very interesting in my opinion but also the most time consuming and difficult.

I wish you good luck on all the projects since they are quite interesting.

Just thought I'd post this to see what everyone thought...

It's the first concept for Confed Pilots. I kept with the WC2 style.

Attachments

• pilot_concept.gif
    pilot_concept.gif
    14.4 KB · Views: 159
Paragon said:
1. Create a short animated series - I know Flash and 3d Studio Max and I've already have some animation under my belt.
Could be cool but I refer you to point 3.

2. Create a Wing Commander FPS using Doom 2 - Why Doom 2? Because I know how to edit it and everybody either already has it or can for under $10.
Now THIS would be interesting!! I think something dealing with more story than shooting might be better, so maybe HL2 mod would be more suitable. But theres many ways you could make a WC shooter, but I think the recent Doom would be better than Doom 2... in fact the original HL would be better than Doom 2... dont do Doom 2 imo ;)

3. Produce an Audio Drama series - It's pretty self explanitory and I've got the equipment.
Unless you have decent voice actors, or just one decent voice actor, that might be harder than it sounds.

Ed

Back