What will be my Fan Project... YOU DECIDE!

Paragon

Spaceman
I've been coming to CIC for years now and I think it's time to give something back. I've come up with several ideas for projects but can't quite make up my mind. My only stipulation was that it has do be something that I could do most of the work on myself.

Here are the contenders...

1. Create a short animated series - I know Flash and 3d Studio Max and I've already have some animation under my belt.
2. Create a Wing Commander FPS using Doom 2 - Why Doom 2? Because I know how to edit it and everybody either already has it or can for under $10.
3. Produce an Audio Drama series - It's pretty self explanitory and I've got the equipment.
4. A "Pen & Paper" Wing Commander RPG or Tabletop Wargame - Another silly hobby of mine.
5. Don't waste your time! You're a fool, Paragon! A FOOL!!!

Let me know what you think...

First, I hope you are serious about this.
Second, if so, I vote for the short animated series in 3d Studio Max.
Third, good luck.

I would love to play a wing commander mod for doom 2, it would be awesome playin as a marine, maybe recreate part of the Battle of Repleetah (maybe that final push at the end or somethin) or landin on the Hakaga's at the Battle of Earth, it could be good!:D

Paragon said:
5. Don't waste your time! You're a fool, Paragon! A FOOL!!!

This isn't a waste of time, it's just not the way to go about working on a fan project. The vast majority of them never got to a point where they had any decent material to release, so by far, the biggest factor is to pick a project that you personally think you have the best chance of actually completing.

ChrisReid said:
This isn't a waste of time, it's just not the way to go about working on a fan project. The vast majority of them never got to a point where they had any decent material to release, so by far, the biggest factor is to pick a project that you personally think you have the best chance of actually completing.

That was my point in the first place. I know that I have the resources to do any of these projects. I think the problem with most fan projects is that people have great ideas but lack the time and resources to complete them. The reason I chose these ideas is because I already have each one "fleshed out" in my head and I can do the lion's share of the work myself.

So far, it seems as though the Animated Series is the front runner... anyone else have a say?

Paragon said:
So far, it seems as though the Animated Series is the front runner... anyone else have a say?
If you want to do a project, do the one you want to do the most. Doing something just because people voted for it is a surefire way of getting nowhere.

I'd be most interested in a FPS. However Doom2 seems to be horribly outdated for it. Also unless you plan on doing enemies as bitmaps I don't see how Doom would be an easy game to mod. Or the other way around - other FPS are similiar easy.

#1 would also be quite interesting. #3 certainly would be novel.
#4 has been done/attempted numerous times already with varying successes.

Paragon said:
I know that I have the resources to do any of these projects. I think the problem with most fan projects is that people have great ideas but lack the time and resources to complete them. The reason I chose these ideas is because I already have each one "fleshed out" in my head

That's exactly what everyone else who ever started a fan project that didn't succeed thought.

Wow...

It seems the people with the most posts (i.e. long-time members) seem to be the most cynical. I guess that comes with experience. I've been around long enough to know that at least once a month someone comes along and says, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M WORKING ON A GREAT FAN PROJECT!" Then they disappear within 3 weeks.

I'm merely doing "Market Research"; testing some ideas to find out what will be the most rewarding not only for me but for the community as a whole. I could sit down and create a life-size paper mache Mark Hamill and be happy as a pig in s***... but what would anyone else get out of that?

Trust me... I'm going to do what I want. I'm just curious as to what others think of my ideas. It's one thing to have a great idea but it means nothing if you can't share it.

... or maybe I should vote for #5. ;)

Well, do wha you want, bud. But you're right, most of us have been around long enough that we've seen several people all excited about their mod/projects and then they disappear. I was part of one, we were supposed to do the WC comic idea and then the artist went AWOL. We've learned not to get too excited until they actually deliver something. It's sorta like the old saying, "You don't count anyone present until they walk through the door."

Paragon said:
It seems the people with the most posts (i.e. long-time members) seem to be the most cynical. I guess that comes with experience. I've been around long enough to know that at least once a month someone comes along and says, "HEY! LOOK AT ME! I'M WORKING ON A GREAT FAN PROJECT!" Then they disappear within 3 weeks.

All the more frustrating are the ones that are half-done or close to done (Homeworld Fleet Action anyone?) and then disappear permanently.

Paragon said:

Exactly. You replied to your own post there. It has nothing to do with being cynical.

Actually, what I said was that it IS about being cynical, but you have a good reason...

Which leads me to ask... Which option would you like to see, Mr. Reid? :D

Back