What makes a good fanfic?

Lionheart

Spaceman
Besides the obvious (good writing skills and spelling and the like). Or do you think the only good fanfic is no fanfic?

I don't know about fanfic, but good story, in my mind, is all about making the reader care what happens. I, personally, like piling details upon details to create the clearest mental picture possible, and nazi-like accuracy (which is part of the reason why I, not having served in the military and not being familier with regs and the like, write much).

That's not all, though - good writing needs to be as clear as possible. It's probably a good idea to make a basic outline of what happens in the plot and who the characters are rather than just making things up as you go along. In a way, writing is like movies - you need to be able to act (write convincingly), set the stage (give appropriete background), do the lighting (the mood, word choice) and direct (decide what works and what doesn't).

And of course, a good editor doesn't hurt, either.

I recently went back to my archives and dug this up. It was a WC fanfic tips I gave out to my writers, when I used to coordinate a WC fanfic campaign when I was a teenager and was in charge of editing and look other not only my story but others. I've recently modified it to give it out to any prospective "writers". This is no-bullshit, and each one of these I have been compiled from past and real experience. If any of you newbie writers don't like it, tough shit and good bye.

1) Remember that you are writing Wing Commander stories. That means your fanfics must be as close to Wing Commander as possible, that means not using any technology or plots that have to do with other science fiction shows or movies. That means trying to write your stories just like Babylon 5, or Mechwarrior, or Star Wars, or the 20th century US Navy is not recommended.

2) It is recommended that for the majority of Wing Commander stories, you for the most part use technology seen in the Wing Commander games and in the novels. If it was seen in the game or the novels, it’s ok to write it in. Adding too much new technology totally created by you makes the story less like Wing Commander and more like “Wing Commander-based”

3) If you are writing about a person in a long story campaign, don’t even think of writing about your character kissing or having sex in the very first fanfic. You don’t want people to get a bad first impression of you and thus, having to live on known as ‘the writer who had a blowjob in his first fanfic’. Writing about romance and kissing is acceptable only if you provide the neccesary (and extremely lengthy) character development. Sex (especially kinky sex involving lubricant, different positions, and an entire box of condoms) is a big “no no” in writing anytime, anywhere.

4) Writing a bad fanfic is easy, anyone can do it. But writing good fanfic takes time, committment and editing. Don’t be scared if you want to look over your fanfic draft just one more time, it happens to everyone.

5) Writing about emotion is good and highly recommended. There is no better reward then portraying sorrow or joy successfully in a fanfic without screwing up (screwing up as in saying ‘she was so sad that she cried’, what kinda pitiful bullshit attempt is that?).

6) Make sure that the combat scenes you write are reasonably realistic and reasonable. None of that “human pilot punching and kicking the crap out of a Kilrathi in hand-to-hand combat” like some shit I have read.

7) When you give someone a particular rank, make sure that his age is reasonable. Nothing pisses me off more then a 24 year old Colonel or a 21 year old Major. 22 year old Lieutenant Commanders also piss me off too.

8) Make sure that you just don’t focus all of your writing and attention on just your alter-ego. Writing about other characters gives that “character interactivity”, just writing about and ALL writing devoted to one character will only portray you as as selfish bastard who focuses all on his alter-ego fanfic character to make him look good.

9) If your fanfic character has a high rank such as Lieutenant Colonel or Colonel, do not by any circumstances go around the IRC channels and or forums saying “I’m a Colonel and I can do anything I want!” or bossing around other people cause “I’m a Colonel! Lick my boots!”. None of this IRC “Talk to the Colonel” or “E-Mail the Colonel” bullshit that forms the basis of many asshole egos around.

10) Writing fanfics ahead of time is good. Not only will you write more stories, you’ll also have more time in the future to look over them and edit them again.

11) When writing about any situation, the main word is “detail”. Having just speech during a dialogue scene is boring and gives no emotion or illusion of what is really going on in the fanfic. Such as: “Hey Dana.” “Hi” “How you’re doing?” “Ok” “You want some sex?” “Sure” “Me on top?” “Of course”.

12) In combat, detail is also a big key. Just writing “he comes up behind a fighter and fires his cannons. Boom” won’t cut it. Writing about the images that flashes through a pilot’s mind in combat is excellent.

13) If people send you messages about how your writing could be improved, for God’s sakes listen to them. Releasing the same low-quality style fanfics over and over without listening to people’s advice will only make people hate you more.

14) And to finish, this is the Golden Rule. Some of you are already guilty of this. If you fuck up the first few fanfics, chances are the stigma will stick with you so take any measures to make sure you don’t fuck up for the first time.

Such as: “Hey Dana.” “Hi” “How you’re doing?” “Ok” “You want some sex?” “Sure” “Me on top?” “Of course”.

But it really happened like that :(

Apologies for any trouble man, I wrote this like 6 years ago and hadn't updated it until yesterday when I cut out Aces related stuff and replaced "PBM" with "fanfic". :(

That's some excellent advice, psych. Something every writer, not just those writing fanfic, should read and follow.

Here's another question: what is everyone's opinion on basing your story around a relative or offspring of a canon character? This is done quite often in fan fiction and usually very poorly, but I think if the author chooses an appropriate character to do this with, and executes it well enough, it's not too big a deal. But it would most definitely have to make sense within the universe itself; isn't it odd that Christopher Blair somehow had time to father so many children who somehow were never mentioned in any of the games or anything? :rolleyes:

I did that with my Marine character, Major Jay Obutu (son of the helmsman in the WC movie), and I think it worked out well, considering that the first Obutu was just a minor character in the WC universe.

However, I would refrain from using any Blairs, Tolwyns, Deverauxs, Caseys, Marshalls, etc.

I do think that a little divergence from the canon universe is okay - again, that's what I did with my novel - because without any more games in the foreseeable future, WC needs some variety and fresh energy. As long as it makes sense - it can be explained without too much of a leap of faith on the reader's part - I thin kit would make for a more interesting story.

Also, realism - while important to keep the reader interested in the story - should be taken with a bit of salt: remember that Wing Commander was built with sterotypical and larger-than-life characters, and no time period is without such people of its own.

Basically, what I'm saying is:
1) Think out a story like any good author: make sure it fits within the WC universe, and make it close enough to reality that a reader will turn the pages. Remember - it is 600 years in the future.
2) Take criticism seriously: the best source of advice is from peer readers.
3) Read other people's stories: otherwise, how can they improve?

That's my take on WC writing, and I shall say no more.

casperXJ said:
I did that with my Marine character, Major Jay Obutu (son of the helmsman in the WC movie), and I think it worked out well, considering that the first Obutu was just a minor character in the WC universe.
Don't take this as criticism (I can't criticise your work, since I haven't read it), but it's not really up to you to decide whether your Major Obutu worked out well - that's something the readers will decide.

Umm, Quarto, he said that he thinks it worked out, he's not stating as a fact that it did.

Writers are allowed to have opinions about their work, last I checked, even in countries lacking the US's First Amendment. :p

Err, yeah, looking at what I wrote earlier, it does seem like I didn't really say correctly what I was thinking about :p. Basically, when I wrote that post, I was thinking about the way the writers of the worst fanfics (you know, the kind with super-Dragons piloted with Blair's half-Kilrathi son, commander of the 40 km-long Concordia II - not implying that CasperXJ's work belongs to this category, though) invariably seem to think that their story is the greatest fanfic ever, while anyone who reads their work will strenously disagree. But yeah, a writer definitely can (and should) have an opinion about his own work ;).

Quarto said:
the worst fanfics (you know, the kind with super-Dragons piloted with Blair's half-Kilrathi son, commander of the 40 km-long Concordia II[...]).

Unfortunately, I do know. *cough*BruceTannock*cough*

:p

(No, I'm not claiming I'm innocent of bad fanfic. This has become especially obvious by my re-reading of my previous works in the WC Aces club.)

dude Death, having one forum (Aces board) infected with that name is bad enough. We need to quarantine this thread to make sure that name doesn't spread :(

Former member of the WC Aces Club, who inflicted his gawdawful (in every possible way... this is not hyperbole) WC fanfics from the relative safety of Australia, where few Aces could have a few words *ahem* with him. Spelling, grammar, plot structure, logic, conformity to the canon, characterization, the works, with a "bonus" of appropriating others' works (characters, settings, etc) without their permission (and then promptly butchering said thefts). Any attempts at reasoning with him, or otherwise pointing out his various lackings (both personal and fanfic-wise) resulted in long, painfully drawn out arguments on WCAC forums, where he tried to claim he was on the staff of some "important" magazine or other (ignoring the fact that his grammar, spelling, and formatting skills were measured with a nice round number: 0).

And those were his good points.

(He's been gone for a few years now, save NeoDevilBane (among other names he's used in the past) trolling as Tannock, on the main Aces board.

Death said:
Spelling, grammar, plot structure, logic, conformity to the canon, characterization, the works, with a "bonus" of appropriating others' works (characters, settings, etc) without their permission (and then promptly butchering said thefts). Any attempts at reasoning with him, or otherwise pointing out his various lackings (both personal and fanfic-wise) resulted in long, painfully drawn out arguments on WCAC forums, where he tried to claim he was on the staff of some "important" magazine or other (ignoring the fact that his grammar, spelling, and formatting skills were measured with a nice round number: 0).

That sounds sorta like New.

The main thing about fanfics is that you have an original idea. The grammar and spelling and other things that don't have a lot of impact on the plot can be corrected, as long as you have a good idea.

?

I haven't used different nicks in the past, and my bringing back Tannock was just for shits and giggles.

- NeoDevilbane

Back