What if Jukaga's plot succeeded?

CT25

Captain
Hypothetically, what would have happened next in Fleet Action had Baron Jukaga's plan to assassinate Thrakath and the Emperor worked?

I know it was typically against Kilrathi policy for the Emperor and the heir to be on board the same ship (at least I think that's what was said in the book), but for the sake of argument let's say they were and Jukaga's plan worked and that cruiser blew up with the two most powerful Kilrathi on board (Emperor and Prince Thrakath) on it.

Well, it's an interesting question and one that we oddly never see Jukaga think through. There's some introspection on Thrakhath's part about the likelyhood of a civil war that Jukaga could use to his advantage... but that's it, we never hear how Jukaga expected it to work out.

In addition to the fact that the plan itself was a failure, though, there was a huge flaw with the bomb plot's timing--the attempt doesn't occur until after the bombing on Earth and the discovery of the Hakagas. For all intents and purposes, the war is back on already and whoever takes the throne is going to have to fight it immediately rather than waiting as Jukaga wanted.

(Which is another common misconception, I think--Jukaga somehow taking power might have been good news for those killed in Fleet Action, but it would have been very bad in the long run. He wasn't a traitor, he was someone who had a better idea of how to fight himans. He saves Earth not out of love for humanity but because he understands the fury with which the Confederation will react to a martyred homeworld.)

One big one I think we can figure, though: Ralgha nar Hhallas dies with the Prince. Without Thrakhath to deactivate the overlay, he stays Hobbes through Wing Commander III.

I thought Jukaga said at one point (maybe even to himself) that he respected humanity and was willing to spare them?

I thought Jukaga said at one point (maybe even to himself) that he respected humanity and was willing to spare them?

I believe the word "spare" is a kind way of saying "enslave", considering the Kilrathi's history of treating their vanquished foes.

Back