What does Privateer 1.0 need?

Welcome to the forums (officially ;) )

I wouldn't worry too much about modelling humans. These humans will all be wrapped in flight suits and wearing helmets so one doesn't have to worry about all the finer points of anatomy :D

Once a model is made and mapped, changing the skin shouldn't be too bad. At the very least, we could do some color swaps. I'll try to explain the faction specific skinning here (it is actually rather easy) I'll use the Talon as an example.

The model uses several textures, one of them being talontop.png. When a talon is loaded in game, the first thing the engine looks for is *factionname*-talontop.png In other words, to load a retro talon, tha game automatically looks for retro-talontop.png. If this texture exists (it does) it is used to create a Talon in the retro faction. If no faction specific texture exists, the game uses the one specified in the mesh file. Of course that means all the skins have to use the same mapping/layout, though that generally isn't an issue.

Understood.......

What's the max number of textures allowed? I already have a very cool looking church I can use at Oxford!

:)

Some mods may have talking heads, but they don't have a 3D rendered New Detroit! :)

:D

Ridgerunner said:
I feel more useless all the time...

So, do what I do. Try to break the game! It's as important as modelling!

How else can they get something GREAT out if you and I aren't actively looking for holes, quirks and disasters waiting to happen?

She's absolutely right. What good is great content if the game doesn't run? Getting it to run is the most important thing, and you've been a great help with that.

VonHelton: Vegastrike splits a model apart based on textures. A model using 5 different textures gets split into 5 meshes, which isn't that bad a thing, esp for a base that won't have a level of detail version. Fewer is better, though far less important for a base I imagine. Just as long as texture memory doesn't balloon. It's all rather moot at the moment of course, as 3d bases are not *currently* possible

"Well I'm standin' next to a mountain, and I chop it down with the edge of my hand"

MamiyaOtaru said:
VonHelton: Vegastrike splits a model apart based on textures. A model using 5 different textures gets split into 5 meshes, which isn't that bad a thing, esp for a base that won't have a level of detail version. Fewer is better, though far less important for a base I imagine. Just as long as texture memory doesn't balloon.

Humf.......The exact opposite of what RB3D wanted. Not a prob, but I was hoping to just plug'em in! The only prob with breaking vertices is that they tend to fragment in unpredictable ways.

MamiyaOtaru said:
It's all rather moot at the moment of course, as 3d bases are not *currently* possible

.....Not yet.

Ridgerunner said:
I feel more useless all the time...

Prepare to feel useless no more!

I need Privateer screenshots of everything! The various bars, landing pads, rooms, ect.

.......If you'll do this for me, it'll save me from having to do it myself, and the faster I go, the more stuff we get!

Kinda like this one.......

Attachments

• ME0000266647_2.jpg
    ME0000266647_2.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 177
VonHelton, apparently you have me confused with someone who knows how to do that. I'm still trying to get the turrets patch in without screwing up the game.

VonHelton said:
I will......!!

......But first, you need an ejected pilot!

Pilots shouldn't be too hard, but. . .@MamiyaOtaru, do you have any pilots? Or do you want me to search out the ejected pilots in the original? Heck, I might even run one or two pilots down so you can get some of the body parts.

I can't say where you're going to get your better images.
Some of the ones in the remake are rather pixelated, others look sharp. Almost like someone took some time in a photo editor.

Smilies don't currently work in any thread in our section of the board. Part of some stylistic decisions that have since been recanted, though smilies have not yet been reinstated. We'll ask someone about that eventually :D

Wendy: I don't think he's looking for 'better' images, just images period so he can work on recreating them (brave soul). I'm surprised to hear some of them look better to you, they're all 320*200. The cockpits on the other hand should look better, I spent some time on them in The Gimp.

All purple dinosaurs must die!

MamiyaOtaru said:
We'll ask someone about that eventually :D

Coolness.......!

MamiyaOtaru said:
Wendy: I don't think he's looking for 'better' images, just images period so he can work on recreating them (brave soul).

Speaking of which, check yer e-mail. While I was musing over the LGM (little green man), I decided to "spruce up" the Title Screen a bit.

VonHelton said:
Coolness.......!

Speaking of which, check yer e-mail. While I was musing over the LGM (little green man), I decided to "spruce up" the Title Screen a bit.

Umm, I'm not one of the developers, so I don't have access there, click on my name for my e-mail address, wendy atsign* kemem dot* net

MamiyaOtaru said:
Wendy: I don't think he's looking for 'better' images, just images period so he can work on recreating them (brave soul). I'm surprised to hear some of them look better to you, they're all 320*200. The cockpits on the other hand should look better, I spent some time on them in The Gimp.

I rest my case.
SOME images look better than others. I never said which, because I thought they were self explanatory. You did a nice job on the cockpits, too, I might add.

Whutwe have heah, is a failya ta komunikate!

Wendy said:
Umm, I'm not one of the developers, so I don't have access there, click on my name for my e-mail address, wendy atsign* kemem dot* net

LOL...........I was talking to MO!

Ridgerunner said:
VonHelton, apparently you have me confused with someone who knows how to do that. I'm still trying to get the turrets patch in without screwing up the game.

HEY SUCK-UP!
When you get your system back up, copy your units.csv file, so that you have a correct copy of it, and then edit it.

If you have a Galaxy, change the cargo volume in the three Galaxy listings up from 50 to 100000. When you load the game, immediately take your Galaxy in for repairs and get it fixed. -- OUCH! It got tutored! -- Then take it on a suck-up run. Any ship smaller than the Galaxy, Talons, Dralthi, etc. . .can be sucked up. I WARN YOU, as you accumulate mass -- and the Tarsus and Dralthi have mass, where Talons and Stilettos are sucked up as undefined cargo and have no mass -- As you accumulate mass you will wind up driving a led sled.

Back