What did you prefer?

They usually blew up or ran before they lost their guns.

I always seem to get my target track taken out in missions where I need torpedoes, anyone one else as lucky as me?

Yeah, I used to lose my target tracker on the most vital of missions, like on the torpedo run on the K'tithrak Mang or the destroy Ralatha mission with Jazz on my wing.

Originally posted by Ringtail

I always seem to get my target track taken out in missions where I need torpedoes, anyone one else as lucky as me?

I managed to blow up my radar screen quite a few times, boy, was that annoying in a dogfight...

Tar-get traaack?

Never really needed it in WCs I and II.

Although, in III, it was almost impossible to hit a ship without firing into the little teensy circle...

Enh. I still had fun.

Blowing out your radar, on the other hand... THAT was hell. :p

Well, if you want to get technical...

But, the term 'Never really needed it' does not imply that I never used it. :)

Besides. I'm not tracking my target when I press 'L'. I'm locking my torps, and too busy flying flak to worry about anything else. leave that stuff to my turret people.

Originally posted by Crowley
I also prefer the older way, but I absolutely HATED how the only system that seemed to get damaged in enemy ships was shields. Nearly destroyed Kilrathi ships have escaped me at top speed more times than I can count. Sigh, memory constraints, I guess.

Going a bit off-topic, how many games are out there anyway where the enemies' performance is downgraded when they get more damaged/injured?

Space sims, or any game out there? If its any game out there, we could be going for a while. Steel Panthers comes to mind right off the top of my head (my disaster the other night probably influences that - platoon of Shermans drove right into an infantry ambush - lost two, one immobolized and out of position, one fine but rattled, and one with no weapons - ouch).

Space Combat Sims are a little easier. First of all, though, you have to factor out strictly multi-player games. When you're playing multi-player, the other guy had better have just the same opportunity to lose his engines as you do, or something's seriously wrong.
In single player games, the only ones I can think of off the top of my head are the ones that have you piloting a starship as opposed to a starfighter. Examples would be the Independence War games, Klingon Academy (lousy game, but if you fired your torpedoes into the Enterprise's warp engines, then the Enterprise lost its warp engines - which is how I killed the Enterprise), and the brand new Star Trek: Bridge Commander.
Cap Ships in space fighter games often allow component damage, but this seems to be more a result of allowing you to target specific components than the random luck that takes out your own targeting computer.

But, even when we're told what to hit, like in Prophecy, or Colony Wars, all we do is cycle through, and target what we have to hit to blow the Cap Ships up. It would be MUCH nicer if we could target, say, the Launch Bays, instead of the Communications Tower, wouldn't it?

If I fire a load of DFs at the launch bay, I want it destroyed. Not to have another wave launch every three minutes.

In Colony Wars, you come across a CapShip and you either disable it (by shooting EMP pulses at it), or destroy it. (Usually by EMPing the turrets, and then shooting it, then EMPing more.)
There's really no performance downgrade there, except that when the CapShip has been EMPed into submission, its turrets don't fire.

Originally posted by Anagram
But, even when we're told what to hit, like in Prophecy, or Colony Wars, all we do is cycle through, and target what we have to hit to blow the Cap Ships up. It would be MUCH nicer if we could target, say, the Launch Bays, instead of the Communications Tower, wouldn't it?

In Prophecy, you CAN target the launch bay. While I never fired enough at it to make a difference, I have heard it is possible to destroy the launch bays on the Nephilim ships (its DEFINITELY possible to kill the launch bays on the Midway - you lose if they're both destroyed). WC1 and 2 didn't allow component targeting. WC3 allowed you to fly into the hangers of opposing carriers and take out the enemy fighters that way.

I swear I've scanned every WC: P Capship I've come across, and never seen "Launch Bay" as a targetable area.

And, I know you can fly through in WC III and IV. Heck... It's how I destroyed the Ves. :) Flew in, guns, guns, guns, DFs.

I've also heard they can be destroyed, and I've targetted them once or twice myself. (Although I'm usually too busy blowing the bridge, etc. to hell to pay much attention to focusing on the bays.)

Originally posted by Soma

I managed to blow up my radar screen quite a few times, boy, was that annoying in a dogfight...
For me that was actually worse than losing a gun...

Originally posted by Skyfire
I've also heard they can be destroyed, and I've targetted them once or twice myself. (Although I'm usually too busy blowing the bridge, etc. to hell to pay much attention to focusing on the bays.)

I've popped 'em off a few times, you're not missing much
IIRC it does stop the Neph launching reinforcement waves

Originally posted by mpanty

For me that was actually worse than losing a gun...

If you were in a Broadsword it wasn't too horrible cuz you could just keep jumping in the turrents and take 'em out that way, but not knowing you have a Grikath lining up behind you was painful.

Originally posted by junior
...the brand new Star Trek: Bridge Commander.

That looked like a really fun game and I'm thinking of buying it. If anyone's played it could they let me know what it's like?

...it was always gratifying to limp home after a nasty scrape with no comms, no radar, on half engine power with the eject warning blaring...
Heh, I'd get that occassionally as well... and then do something stupid like afterburn into the carrier because I was too impatient to wait a few seconds. Well, maybe only a couple of times for that last bit.

I always hated shelling out hard earned credits for repairs [in Privateer].
It's funny that it costs a few hundred for a chip off something like guns, yet it only costs a few creds to patch a large chunk of armour. :)

Originally posted by Oggy
I've popped 'em off a few times, you're not missing much
IIRC it does stop the Neph launching reinforcement waves
Unless you're going for high kill counts, that is missing out on plenty. Sometimes one can wonder when the flood of fighters will end...

Originally posted by Wedge009

It's funny that it costs a few hundred for a chip off something like guns, yet it only costs a few creds to patch a large chunk of armour. :)

Maybe they were using a plunger to pull the dents out of your armor :)

Back