What bout the simulator?

FleeBalls

Spaceman
I'm wondering (as well as hoping this question hasnt been asked already) if the simulator missions will be included in tomarrow's release? I know the picture of the FIrekka's rec room the simulator is there, but the girl is sitting on it so I thought maybe it wont be playable yet? Progress page sez theyre done, but are we gonna be able to see them tomarrow?

Don't worry, the simulator is there, and it's missions will provide you with many, many, many hours of replaying value :) At least I hope so, since it took us many, many, many hours to fine-tuning :D

I don't know how the simulator works, but if there's a high score board, is there some way to export the data to create an online high score board? Some games that don't directly have any sort of internet play create a code that you take online to a website. The site then analyzes the code and converts it into a callsign and high score to post in the world rankings.

ChrisReid said:
I don't know how the simulator works, but if there's a high score board, is there some way to export the data to create an online high score board?

I don´t think that would work for most of the Standoff sim missions. They have a feature which prevents knowing how well you did on a mission, just by looking at the high score board... You´ll see it tonight.

Lazy Panda said:
Is it possible to get something completely different everytime you play a mission or something like that?

Well, yeah, something like that :)

Lazy Panda said:
Is it possible to get something completely different everytime you play a mission or something like that?
Well, first some missions have been slightly tweeked for some ships. Some missions were also designed so that you can use different strategies according to the ship you fly. And there is a third element, wich I don't think we ever mentioned before so I am gonna let you be surprised :p

ChrisReid said:
I don't know how the simulator works, but if there's a high score board, is there some way to export the data to create an online high score board? Some games that don't directly have any sort of internet play create a code that you take online to a website. The site then analyzes the code and converts it into a callsign and high score to post in the world rankings.
That would be possible. We could catch the score each time a sim mission is complete and send it automaticly over the net. It would involve modifications and re-distribution of the DLL patch.

But there are issues with this idea.
- First, we'd need a way to send these informations. Would you provide a FTP space where we could deposit some kind of transactional text files wich would be then compute and add to a database of some sort, so that visiting the CIC you'd be able to see the high scores on a web page though some code (php ?) ?
- I fear some stupid people may have fun at hacking the high score by sending crafted transactional files to be king of the top dogs...
- People with outbound firewalls might have to reconfigure it to allow the transactions to be sent. I wouldn't want to support those people. Would you ?
- Two people using the same callsign in Standoff would be messing each other's data in the online scores database.
- We didn't accord a too great importance at trying to balance the sim scores, so hight scores might get boring it they all look the about same for everyone... I don't know, I never compared my score with others :p

PopsiclePete said:
That would be possible. We could catch the score each time a sim mission is complete and send it automaticly over the net. It would involve modifications and re-distribution of the DLL patch.

Pierre, what about that secret feature inside some sim missions? I bet the scoreboard does not take that into consideration...

That's what I meant when I said " We didn't accord a too great importance at trying to balance the sim scores"...

But it could still be fun, I guess.

And also, you can simply turn on invulnerability and get the highest possible score in every mission. Naturally, most people wouldn't bother doing that - but it would only take one to spoil the fun for everyone else.

Hummm... right. If we ever do this we'd have to check if invulnerability wasn't used, do some small modifications to the missions to balance the scores, etc. So don't expect that soon... if ever :p

Correct, there's no simulator on the Lionheart, so you need to get to Episode 2 to access the sim.

I just scored 59 for the first sim mission, I take it it's 59 kills? I made it to wave 9 without too much damage, but after that it got deadly... the eject alert started going 6 times before I finally bought it in wave 11 due to lack of fuel (without fuel it's over in a few seconds when there are still 7 left in the wave)
Damn, that was tense ! Thanks again to the entire Standoff team !

That's a very good score... although I should point out, if you're flying a manoeuvrable ship like the Epee, seven enemies is definitely survivable without fuel. I once made it past half of wave eight and all of wave nine without fuel in an Epee.

...Of course, it's a little worse when you fly something slower :p.

Back