Votes: 3 9.7%
  • The Price of Freedom

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • Action Stations

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • False Colors

Votes: 2 6.5%

• Total voters
I went with Freedom Flight as I totally loved the pairing of Hunter and Kurha. I kinda wish they'd been able to do more with Kurha. And there's always the wonderful moment in Freedom Flight where Hunter's been challenged to prove himself worthy of being a master of a Kilrathi, kicked his challenger squarely between the legs and Kurha totally dead-pan says "That was not very honourable My Lord". Classic

I like End Run the best.

I guess I have a different opinion than most in that I didn't like Freedom Flight really.

It ABSOLUTELY BLOWS MY MIND that people now say this. I remember certain sections of the fandom being FURIOUS with the Wing Commander III novel in 1995 for the little changes (Flash's backstory, lack of the Severin arc) and for making Blair's choices for them. Teenage Psych was ready to tear Andrew Keith a new one when he showed up on IRC (but then teenage Psych was a lot like adult Psych: a huge idiot.).

In a lot of ways, WC3 has always been my favorite novel. Wing Commander 3 was the first WC game I really, really played (I had WC2 on a disc that came with my PC but who wanted to play that when you had actors and greenscreen etc) It stays close to the plot but it deviates just enough to make it all seem fresh. It hits the characters (as played by the actors) *just right* and really resolves some questions I had between friends with the plot (Rachel or Flint, who survived the bombing of Kilrah, etc). Also, I really liked just the way the writing flowed in the novel; I like all the WC novels but after reading the WC4 book, this one seemed to have a much firmer and more grounded prose.

(I'll admit that I was a "Flint Guy" but the way Keith handled the romance subplot worked well. Anyone know why Rachel was picked for the novel?)

(I'll admit that I was a "Flint Guy" but the way Keith handled the romance subplot worked well. Anyone know why Rachel was picked for the novel?)

This is merely conjecture on my part but I suspect Keith/Fortschen were given a certain amount of artistic license to 'create' canon, but as for why they chose Rachel - well, there could be a reason (maybe Blair was to be portrayed as the kind who likes the 'bad girl type') or they may have picked her arbitarily as they'd planned to kill Flint in the Kilrah raid.

I know you're at least right in part, as Flint is "dead" according to EW/Origin.

This is merely conjecture on my part but I suspect Keith/Fortschen were given a certain amount of artistic license to 'create' canon, but as for why they chose Rachel - well, there could be a reason (maybe Blair was to be portrayed as the kind who likes the 'bad girl type') or they may have picked her arbitarily as they'd planned to kill Flint in the Kilrah raid.

Unfortunately I don't think we ever asked Andrew that. It would have been a good set of questions to ask about different story decisions and how he arrived on them. Now however that isn't possible unless his brother has copies of Andrew's notes.

We could however try to do it with Ben Ohlander and TPOF.

I liked Action Stations the best because I loved all of the books but getting to see the first days of the war and the Irony of the first Kilrathi carrier lost in battle in the war falling to the most ignored type of warship in the games appealed to me. (Corvettes show up in WC 1 2 3, Privateer, Prophecy, and Secert Ops. Destroyers Cruisers and carriers show up in every WC main series game, Dreadnoughts show up in 2, 3, and Prophecy,. Supercarriers show up in 4, Prophecy, and Secert Ops (I count Midway as a Supercarrier due to her size.) but Frigates only show up in WC4 and possibly 3. I found an entery for them in 3's ship database but not remember seeing them.)

I'm in the minority: I liked The Price of Freedom the best. I really liked Blair's struggle to come to grips with getting old and who he really is (a born warrior). I also loved the more nuanced view of Tolwyn. Loved Blair using Seether's own trick against him. The romance with Sosa was handled well. And of couse, Maniac was actually developed as a character: I would have loved a WC5 with Maniac as the Wing Commander and Blair the Commodore of a small battlegroup. The whole theme of "if you fight your enemy long enough you become them" was also really good.

Back