Website update, June 26th

PopsiclePete

Mission programmer
Here is this week's update:

Soon, Earth itself shall be in our grasp!

"So, are you done yet?" - I asked Quarto about two hours ago.

"Not yet, I'm still launching missiles at Earth" - was the reply. Uh... did we just give away too much information? ;-)

Seriously - we're done. As I write this, Quarto's still running the mission time and again, checking if all the events fire off and such, but the mission is finished. Standoff's final mission has been completed. Now, at last, our testers will be able to go through the entire episode on both paths. And they'll undoubtedly report dozens more bugs all over the place - I'm sure Quarto can't wait.

I'm sorry, I just have to say that again. This bears repetition :). Standoff's very final, absolutely final mission has been completed. Just check out our progress page :).

Meanwhile, yes, I am still working away on the graphics improvements. Honestly, I'll probably still be finishing them up a week before release, there's quite a lot still to be done. Sorry about the lack of screenshots, but right now, every screen would contain a mix of improved and unimproved stuff, and that would spoil the effect. We won't keep you waiting until everything is 100% done, though - I'm going over the ships one by one, so when we get to the point where we can put together a few combat screens with no unimproved stuff on screen, you'll get to see it too.

So how about the rest of the team? Well, having finished another year at university, Michael is working hard on getting the last music pieces done. And finally, the cutscene voiceovers continue flowing in. Only two characters still need to deliver anything for the cutscenes - you know who you are, so hurry up :-P.

Yeah of course...on the first sunny day in New England in like two weeks now Quarto finishes up that mission.

Maybe those AM missiles are the big ball of fire in the sky I haven't seen in so long... :p

What lovely news to come back home to. Congratulations Quarto, and keep up the good work, Standoff team.

Yeah of course...on the first sunny day in New England in like two weeks now Quarto finishes up that mission.
Well, look on the bright side - thanks to my internet connection dying for over 24 hours, you got off without having anything to test this weekend :p.

(internet connection dying... man, feels like I'm living in the 20th century or something. Seriously, reminds me of the modem days... :p )

Also - this mission had been a thorn in my side for far too long. I get the feeling there's going to be quite a few bugs in it - at least, it seemed like I had to fix like a dozen problems in the last few hours of working on it, and I'm certain something must've slipped past me. However, this is a huge step forward. Missions only really progress well when you can devote at least two or three hours non-stop to coding, and that's been a hard thing lately. Bugs, on the other hand, can be dealt with on a much more random basis - sure, there's always quite a few of them, but usually they only take about fifteen minutes to fix, so it's much easier to find the time for them. Plus, it'll be nice not to be harassed for lack of progress in every news update - guess we'll have to get on Michael's back now, or Tempest's. And Pierre - after all, those sim missions definitely need more love and attention ;).

Well, look on the bright side - thanks to my internet connection dying for over 24 hours, you got off without having anything to test this weekend :p.

Yeah I know, but I was planning on devoting a big chunk of time to testing it. I did a bit last night and hopefully in a little bit Pete will have the new package up and I can get to work.

It was nice to enjoy yesterday though. It seems like it's been weeks since the sun was last out around here.:D

And it must be a sign of some kind because today it is overcast and looks like it's going to rain...

Yeah I know, but I was planning on devoting a big chunk of time to testing it. I did a bit last night and hopefully in a little bit Pete will have the new package up and I can get to work.

It was nice to enjoy yesterday though. It seems like it's been weeks since the sun was last out around here.:D

And it must be a sign of some kind because today it is overcast and looks like it's going to rain...

Dund, it's been like a month. I'm losing my friggin mind. I don't think the sun even exists. Oh look? Guess what it's doing outside my window right now? It's raining. Awesome. Because we were in a drought and would have been consumed by multiple voracious wild fires had the heavens not spared a few pathetic drops.

I don't EVER remember a June like this in my short and meaningless existence.

/weather-enraged-rant.

We get small windows of sun. There was one in late afternoon yesterday for what 2 or 3 hours then it down poured. Looks like crap today.

It better be nice for the 4th...

I'm guessing they'll follow up with standoff 2, episodes 1 and 2, standoff portal and team fortress standoff

it'll be called the green box.

Back