Website Facelift for Priv GG

Genie

Spaceman
We have been working on a new website for Privateer Gemini Gold. We'd like feedback on the new website, so we have provisionally uploaded it here:

www.selssa.org/privgg/

It's almost complete, but for practical reasons, the "Forum" navigational link is deliberately not operational yet and neither is the "Game". You will get the "Under Construction" text for both of those. The rest are complete. Let us know all your comments, both good and bad.

overall, looks nice and brings back sweet memories.

but don't you think it'd look better centered? on a 1280x1024 screen it sticks to the left too much.

and the cockpit is visibly resized and interpolated. is there no crisp hi-rez image available? maybe the Pioneer team could help? they've got a splendid 3D Tarsus cockpit :)

oh, and there's a link to "New Detroid" in the FAQ, although I don't know if it's your responsibility :)

The cockpit images can be improved with high resolution ones, yes. ;) It will be "process part deux". Some pixelated images will be replaced with more high res images.

The positioning was "absolute". "Relative" positioning is unfortunately misinterpreted by some browsers, thus, for the sake of cross-browser compatibility absolute positioning was used. As a result, the website resides on the left. I could have used "tables" instead of CSS, but any web designer worth a dime will tell you what's wrong with that. ;)

New Detroid.. hehe. I'll note it down as one of the typos to correct. :)

Thanks for the quick responce.

I don't like the news page hiding the article contents by default - the option to hide them by clicking on the title is neat (sorta - it's mainly just pointless :p), but when I open a news page, I'd like to see the actual news straight away.

I think the site completely breaks in IE here. There's a mass of cockpit type graphics in the upper left. And then a menu, then some text lower down. 90% of the page is dead black space. The images seem to frame the text properly in Firefox.

ChrisReid said:
I think the site completely breaks in IE here. There's a mass of cockpit type graphics in the upper left. And then a menu, then some text lower down. 90% of the page is dead black space. The images seem to frame the text properly in Firefox.

I don't seem to have these problems with IE though... So who knows what's up

It actually looks better now. I've rebooted and shifted stuff around since my original post, so something must've been reset to fix it.

Chris, it should work for all the major browsers (IE, Firefox, Opera ... ) , but if you do run into any problems, let me know.

Looks good...I would suggest, however, centering it in the middle of the page. Having it cling to the left with empty space on the right seems kind of odd. Just my humble opinion

I'd say a little more refinement (center the page, adjust some gamma and saturation levels) then you'd have a sexy page to go.

website

Guys
z, I dont think u need any new website design ideas.The original design is good, I would be improoving this.But if u want that cocpit type design I would try to center it horizontally and vertically, try to do it more compact and would be nice to do it in flash(animation, sounds...)
Thats my opinion

Ondrej

One other thing I would suggest is changing the Font text on the links on the left...the current text looks very bleah (In my opinion).

Looks good but you need a border on the right to transition from cockpit-to-black for those of us with larger resolutions.

Back