weapon problem

motti

Spaceman
I encountered a problem by continuing with my savegame after I played through the original campaign.
I now have the BoostedSteltek and Privateer 1 armament, but while I could have killed one talon with two shots (max.) during the original, with WCU I need five-six shots and I get bashed down with two or three talons fighting me.

Is this due to my savegame or just a glitch in the WCU game?

The Talons do seem a bit tougher in WCU than they are in Priv Remake. They don't fly any better, just seem to have better damage resistance.

damn, that's why I am so worse in any combat situation and just barely survive a dogfight with 3 fighters Oo

And I don't have any wingmen, because they all cost 25000 and a dogfight just gains one around 5000.. that's a gap that has to be closed in the future, imo.
(Since the best weeapon I can buy is a Plasma Gun Oo)

Lasers and/or tachyons are your best bet. And don't forget, friendorfoe missiles are your friends, as is an afterburner. Plasmas would work, but their short range and too slow speed means you'de have to get close to the target to deal a mortal blow.
Concentrate on one, and keep dogging on him till he blows, then punch the burners and get a good distance away. With afterburners, even a rustbucket Tarsus can outrun a Talon. Lather, rinse, repeat...

and how would you do that, when you get clear shots on some talons, while his six friends are punching wholes through your hull and shields?

Lasers and tachs are good on long distance, but you need a weapon that can break a hull down in seconds if you wanna fight missions where you encounter more than 3 fighters.

(One thing of the stupid sort: I took a mission in Sol-System and I really got to kill 20 Fraltha's with all their fighter squadrons, thus fps dropping to lousy 10 and I can't even try to exit the system without being blown up... That's a random mission that suxx Oo)

afterburn away from talon for a distance, head back, shoot, then change course, afterbun away... keep on this...

cloak...it's all about the cloak. Close in to about 1000 m on cloak on the rear of a talon, decloak, let it rip - one salvo should be enough to destroy a talon, and cloak and afterburn away before its buddies can respond. It takes a little finesse to get the timing right because the cloak doesn't deactivate immediately, and this method takes some time to stalk 17+ ships, but works pretty well for me. I've taken out fleets of gothri and dralthis this way too.

I've found that talons often clump together a lot when in large groups, so I like to come in from a distance of 5000 or so. In addition to my guns, 2 or 3 torpedos aimed into the main group will usually score a couple of kills. In this way it is possible to take out around 2 to 5 ships per attack run. Once you get the numbers down, then you can engage singly.

Also, if you damage but don't kill a talon, leave it alone for a bit. Those things are hard to kill when they're in pure evasion mode, and in the meantime you will have a dozen or so ships firing at you. It is fairly easy to take out an undamaged talon in a single attack run, so concentrate on quickly killing them. By the time you get back to the damaged talon, its shield will be charged enough for it to engage you directly again.

Yeah, I noticed the difference between the standard AI and the WCU AI instantly, and I am pleased and harrassed by it :D

Those damn ships are even smarter than in the Remake, but it is also more fun. I just think the random mission generate should get a bit more attention

I did nerf the demons a bit (less shielding -- on the other hand this gives them an extra reactor level, so they shoot more often)

Back