WCU files moved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a little bit in the way of updates for now because I'm doing as hellcat said and streamlining things.

From now on downloads will be available at:

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-data.zip

This is the big file, mostly ship models, and whatever extra graphics and sound end up in there. :) It's not going to be updated often.

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-data-update.zip

Every time I make an update to the graphics, it will be put here. You can redownload the big file OR just get this. Right now there's nothing there yet. All the files that go in here will also be added to the big file, of course.

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-code.zip

This is what will get updated most often and will stay under 1MB (right now it's 200k). If you get it once a day you'll get all the new stuff.

This should make it easier for everyone :)

Right now if you already downloaded WCU, just get the code zip. Doesn't do much new yet (fixes the "giant fleets" bug, although I want to make it so terran-kilrathi frontier systems keep a lot of activity, I'm considering adding Marines that make a difference in base sieges, still need to figure out how to). Also, you can buy maps by sector instead of by quadrant since there's so much more universe to go around... the graphics in the base software screen have not changed but the text has. Careful, maps aren't complete, there are some systems which the ES doesn't know about ;) (I rewrote the "give map" functions so that you just can decide what to give on the fly, no more typing everything by hand)

Also, a full repository of all the WC related ships and starbases I could find, converted into usable format, is available at

http://www.spiritplumber.com/priv_remake/wcu-ships.zip

Those are in OBJ format. To have them in BFXM format, run runme.bat in that archive after unzipping and wait a few minutes for the batch converter to do it's thing.

Ok, i'm new to this patch, so a few questions:

1) What does this patch? what things adds or changes?
2) i downloaded Remake 1.0, which one of the three i need?

I'm considering adding Marines that make a difference in base sieges, still need to figure out how to).
How 'bout this: Make infantry cargo. Give each civ its own infantry. Then when you want to assault a base, you pick up a load of infantry from a base of a hostile (that is, hostile to the base you want to capture, but friendly to you) civ, fly to the enemy base, and unload the troops. Then the computer somehow (not sure exactly how) calculates how well those troops fight against the enemy troops, and resolves the battle (Each base has a built-in garrison). You can add an Assault-Shuttle ship which can carry more troops, and perhaps gives them a bonus when you attack. When the AI wants to assault a base, it calls in a few shuttles (which are always loaded, same as AI capships always got fighters). This way bases can actually change ownership, so if you give one side enough help, they *might* win the war (then you start a rebellion :)) Also, you can make each civs troops unique.
Kilrathi-Expert Assaulters. They can storm a base in minutes.
Confeds-Fight to the Death defenders. They never surrender (and get a hefty defensive bonus).
Pirates-Boarders. Suck on planets and bases, but excel at ship boarding (if you could put that in)
Retros-Death or Glory. If they're going to lose a base or a ship in boarding combat, they self-destruct, rather than let it fall into enemy hands.
Militia-Home Defense. Fight well on their own base or planet, but poorly elsewhere.

That's more or less what I am trying to do, except I don't think that the player should be able to recruit infantry like this. Maybe later on when we do more strategy work.

Right now I have a shuttle which releases infantry that act as a mini-base-bomber. Capturing ships WOULD be seriously cool, I don't know the phyton code to make a starship switch factions yet though.

You need the "data" file and the "code" file if you never downloaded the previous versions. What the patch does is add ships and allow you to travel around through all of the wing commander universe rather than just gemini sector.

Ghost said:
Ok, i'm new to this patch, so a few questions:

1) What does this patch? what things adds or changes?
2) i downloaded Remake 1.0, which one of the three i need?
1. It takes the Privateer Remake and turns it into a rudimentary form of WCU (Wing Commander Universe). WCU will eventually include ships, missions, and storylines from all of the Wing Commander games.

2. You don't need any. Go play the Remake. Come back and download these patches later. :)

I agree with JKeefe, right now WCU is very very very much in development. Enjoy Priv Remake and come back to WCU when you've traveled around Gemini enough ^-^

Maybe it'd be less confusing if your patch and the priv remake weren't both being called "Wing Commander Universe," which in itself is a fairly nondescript name.

Yea you have a point... I just wanted to call this "that thingy" which is what the files were named at first...

how about we name it Priv Extended Universe for now?

ChrisReid said:
Maybe it'd be less confusing if your patch and the priv remake weren't both being called "Wing Commander Universe," which in itself is a fairly nondescript name.
I have not called it Wing Commander Universe. I have been very specific about talking about Privateer Remake and WCU as seperate entities. I even requested (in a PM to yours truly) that the link on wcnews.com be changed from WCU to Privateer Remake to reflect this, which was done :)
Also, on your front page you link to priv.solsector.net as Wing Commander Universe. Could you change that to Privateer Remake (the unfortunate name we saddled ourselves with), as that is the name of the project that is actually about to be released?
Since I guess it hasn't really been said straight up on this forum (though it has on the vegastrike boards): They are seperate projects :)

jump point to delta system

First off, great idea to integrate WC universe with privateer. It has, at least in my case, made the game much more enjoyable. anyway, on to my problem. I'm currently doing the storyline mission where i have to scan 4 nav points in the delta system for some Cross chick. when i started the mission i discovered there is no jump point to delta. Now, is that something i have to find or was it left out in the WC universe update?

And much thanks to whoever may reply to this. Again great job on this remake guys!!!

in sectors/Gemini/Rygannon.system
you should see
name="Jump_To_Delta" file="jump.png" alpha="ONE ONE" radius="256" gravity="0" x="-7700" y="-14000" day="240" destination="Gemini/Delta"

if that's not there somehow your system files got corrupted from the 1.0 release
if it is there.... you can paste them in

Please write WCU related stuff into the WCU forum you can find here or check out their website.
We don't want to confuse people who are looking for information about the Privateer Remake.

Thanks. (thread closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back